Dishwasher not cleaning even after clearing filter - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our fitted dishwasher is leaving things dirty in both the top and bottom - little bits or things coated with a kind of 'silt' like it's washing everything in filthy water.

We've already cleared the filter and run it on a cleaning cycle and seen no improvement. Also inspected the 'propellors' that spin round (what are they called?) to check for any blockages.

Not sure what to try next. Can't see what's happening inside when it runs which is a shame as it might help.
I did notice that where the filter goes, the 'sump' sort of thing is full of not particularly clean water. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be completely drained, or acts like a U-bend, but dirty water hanging around makes me suspicious.

Anyone got some suggestions what things to try, in what order, to diagnose and hopefully fix it? If it's something like a failed pump I don't know how repairable these things are, but if it's something blocked somewhere we should be able to sort that, right?

Sponsored Links
Food or debris in the propellers can prevent them spinning. Try opening it when it’s washing to see if they are spinning. I’m regularly cleaning ours out.

Seems like it is working visually, and my wife said she'd pulled them out to check them. Is this the sort of thing you can find someone to come and service, or does nobody do that sort of thing any more?

Sometimes they get all gummed up inside. It won’t hurt to use a dishwasher cleaner to Chilean things out internally.

Sponsored Links
Chilean?

And yeah, ran that already - one of the self-clean things you throw in and run it empty.

Put 250 grams of salt and half litre of white vinegar in a cup and run a hot wash.
Then try using the machine again with a different detergent.
Our dw doesn't like Finish tablets for example and leaves a white cloud on dishes and glasses, but washes fine with other brands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back