1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Dishwasher not cleaning even after clearing filter - what next?

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by MisterBoy, 20 Oct 2020.

1. MisterBoy

MisterBoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our fitted dishwasher is leaving things dirty in both the top and bottom - little bits or things coated with a kind of 'silt' like it's washing everything in filthy water.

We've already cleared the filter and run it on a cleaning cycle and seen no improvement. Also inspected the 'propellors' that spin round (what are they called?) to check for any blockages.

Not sure what to try next. Can't see what's happening inside when it runs which is a shame as it might help.
    I did notice that where the filter goes, the 'sump' sort of thing is full of not particularly clean water. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be completely drained, or acts like a U-bend, but dirty water hanging around makes me suspicious.

Anyone got some suggestions what things to try, in what order, to diagnose and hopefully fix it? If it's something like a failed pump I don't know how repairable these things are, but if it's something blocked somewhere we should be able to sort that, right?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Food or debris in the propellers can prevent them spinning. Try opening it when it’s washing to see if they are spinning. I’m regularly cleaning ours out.

4. MisterBoy

MisterBoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Seems like it is working visually, and my wife said she'd pulled them out to check them. Is this the sort of thing you can find someone to come and service, or does nobody do that sort of thing any more?

5. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sometimes they get all gummed up inside. It won’t hurt to use a dishwasher cleaner to Chilean things out internally.

6. MisterBoy

MisterBoy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Chilean?

And yeah, ran that already - one of the self-clean things you throw in and run it empty.

7. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bloody predictive typing! Clean!

8. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Put 250 grams of salt and half litre of white vinegar in a cup and run a hot wash.
    Then try using the machine again with a different detergent.
    Our dw doesn't like Finish tablets for example and leaves a white cloud on dishes and glasses, but washes fine with other brands.

9. Sponsored Links