Dishwasher plug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just got a new dishwasher to replace an old one. Easy job I thought. However, the old one was wired in direct to the socket (ie, no 3 hole socket) but the new one has a plug.

Question is, is it best to put a single socket and plug the new one in, or cut the plug off the new one and wire it up the same as the old?

I suspect I'll need a new socket face (as the new plug is fused?) but just wanted to know first...

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
do you mean it had a flex outlet place? if so did it have a fused spur to control it. If you do have room for the plug behind change the plate to a socket then if you need to remove the dishwasher you can just unplug it.

If it is a moulded plug and you cut it off, you will loose any warranty you have with the appliance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it has a fused spur too. I can only assume it was done for space.

I'll get a single socket and see if I can squeeze the new d/washer in using the plug.

If it is a moulded plug and you cut it off, you will loose any warranty you have with the appliance.

Absolute nonsense!

Read the manual of any appliance and theres a section that tells you how to re-wire the plug should the one supplied not be suitable or if it becomes damaged. Heck it even says on the label attached to the mains lead sometimes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back