Dishwasher socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a dishwasher at the moment but tomorrow we have a new one arriving, problem is I cannot get at the socket to unplug the old one. Can I cut the flex off the dishwasher leaving the plug in the socket and put a socket on the dishwasher end the plug the new dishwasher into that ?
The socket the dishwasher is plugged into comes from a switched fused spare.
I have tried to show it in a drawing but not sure it makes sense.
wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suppose it would make it into an extention lead, would it be allowed.

Thank you

Bit of a bodge, but allowable if the flex is surface-clipped. You'll be in trouble if the socket-outlet or the plug fails though. How does the cable from the switched fused connection unit run to the socket that's hidden behind the cupboard? Could you just run a new cable from there to the new socket-outlet?

Sponsored Links
Bit of a bodge, but allowable if the flex is surface-clipped. You'll be in trouble if the socket-outlet or the plug fails though. How does the cable from the switched fused connection unit run to the socket that's hidden behind the cupboard? Could you just run a new cable from there to the new socket-outlet?
Unfortunately it runs behind tiles on a tiled wall

It looks like a DIY bodge job. What if the plug fuse blew? - The Regs do state that all sockets shall be accessible for maintenance and insertion/removal of plugs.

Another point - does the cupboard have a removeable back panel held in place by magnetic catches? Mine certainly does, as I removed it to inspect behind it.

It's like that already.

As Imhud has said, he's making an extension lead.
He could leave it dangling on the floor but he's going to attach a socket to the wall.

It'll be fine.

When he needs to inspect the first socket he'll make a hole in the back of the unit.

No I cant get behind the cupboard, if the fuse blew then that would initiate a completely new problem, the cupboard was there before we bought the house so at the time we had no reason to suspect there was any problems, (who pulls out a dishwasher when looking around a house you might buy ) it is only now we are about to change the dishwasher I found the problem. I can't really remove the cupboard without damaging either the cupboard or the floor as the last owner has put floor tiles over the brackets that screw the cupboard to the floor :(

Can you just cut a hole in the back of the cupboard and then unplug the old one through the hole? That's where I would go first!

If your drawing is roughly to scale it wouldn't be impossible to remove the cupboard unit by uscrewing the worktop fixings then lowering the support legs. Once the cupboard is out you do a proper job on the electrics.

Borrow a small child and see if they can get their arm into the space and remove the plug for you.

Can I cut the flex off the dishwasher leaving the plug in the socket
If you are going to do that you must make absolutely sure that the power is disconnected before you cut the cable!

Normally you would remove the plug, but as you cannot, I suggest that you turn off the MAIN SWITCH on your fuseboard.
Before you do that, look at the power light on the old dishwasher. Ensure you can see the light is on before you turn off the MAIN SWITCH, check that the power light on the dishwasher has gone out before you chop the cable. Use cutters with insulated handles, just to be super sure.

If you are going to do that you must make absolutely sure that the power is disconnected before you cut the cable! ... Normally you would remove the plug, but as you cannot, I suggest that you turn off the MAIN SWITCH on your fuseboard. ....
Indeed. There is, of course, an accessible switched FCU feeding the socket in question but, as you say, switching off the main switch is the ultimate in certainty.

I can't help wonder whether this plug/socket really is totally inaccessible. It would be very unusual (stupid) (and not at all convenient) to build a kitchen around a socket whilst a large appliance was plugged into it through a fairly short lead!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back