Changing Kitchen Socket To Double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an under sink water filtration system in the kitchen and this is run off a mains plug via a transformer. Looks like this draws 1A and need to plug this in somewhere. There is a single gang plug for the dishwasher close by and was thinking of converting this into a double socket so I can connect the plug for the filter as well as the dishwasher. The dishwasher plug socket connects to a switchboard and was going to just change labelling on there to dishwasher + water filter.

I was wondering if this counts as ‘additions to existing circuits’ for the kitchen work regarding regs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The filter load is minimal, so there should be no problem doing this. Use a decent quality socket like MK, Crabtree, etc.
I was wondering if this counts as ‘additions to existing circuits’ for the kitchen work regarding regs.

Where in the UK are you? The Building Regs are different in the outlying colonies. It probably doesn't require anything other that you doing the job properly.

Thanks I’ll look into getting a decent quality socket as I was planning on using one spare lying in the garage but don’t think it’s anything well known!

The filter load is minimal, so there should be no problem doing this. Use a decent quality socket like MK, Crabtree, etc.

Where in the UK are you? The Building Regs are different in the outlying colonies. It probably doesn't require anything other that you doing the job properly.

I’m London way...

Sponsored Links
If it is a recessed socket, sunk into the wall, an easy way is to buy a single to twin outlet adaptor. These fix to the back box in the wall, just like the single socket, but have two sockets on the wider face instead of the one.

Another way (assuming sunk) would be to chip the single back box out and replace it with a twin outlet box, or simply add a second single box and socket alongside the existing one.

There's no longer any need to notify anybody if you are changing electric in a kitchen.
Just get on with it.

Thanks for help

If it is a recessed socket, sunk into the wall, an easy way is to buy a single to twin outlet adaptor. These fix to the back box in the wall, just like the single socket, but have two sockets on the wider face instead of the one.

Another way (assuming sunk) would be to chip the single back box out and replace it with a twin outlet box, or simply add a second single box and socket alongside the existing one.

I did think that but I’m just uneasy about using something like that on a dishwasher and it’s adding another level of possible complications. It’s behind an integrated dishwasher so don’t want to keep getting it out.

Thanks for help

I did think that but I’m just uneasy about using something like that on a dishwasher and it’s adding another level of possible complications. It’s behind an integrated dishwasher so don’t want to keep getting it out.

I don't understand your '..keep getting it out' comment. It would just be a wall socket like any other wall socket, except its a simple swap from a single to a double (or even a triple) outlet. I understand they require a little more free cable length than a normal socket and they protrude from the wall a little more than is usual for a recessed socket.

I don't understand your '..keep getting it out' comment. It would just be a wall socket like any other wall socket, except its a simple swap from a single to a double (or even a triple) outlet. I understand they require a little more free cable length than a normal socket and they protrude from the wall a little more than is usual for a recessed socket.

Sorry Harry I got the wrong end of the stick in what you were suggesting. I didn’t realise you could get a socket like that and thought you meant just an adapter type plug which physically plugs into the spare socket I had. I’ll remember those for next time as I had already finished the job when I came back to read this. There was hardly any cable length funnily enough and was a right pain to get the original box out without trying to slice the T&E cable. Metal back box wasn’t earthed either - new build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back