Kitchen - Moving Hidden Wall Socket To Inside Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen, the single plug socket for the dishwasher is actually behind the dishwasher/cupboard, which I've never been happy with as obviously you can't locally turn off the power to it in case of disaster/maintenance, and I assume it's against regs anyway. So, I was going to change this so I have a surface mounted single socket inside the cupboard unit next to it, and plug the dishwasher in there instead. I still don't know if that's within regs but at least I can turn the power off to the dishwasher then. How am I best to achieve this? I was thinking of changing the socket on the wall to an FCU with a flex outlet to the new socket in the cupboard, but don't like that idea as it's still not great having an FCU you can't get to, and I don't like the idea of having a flex going to a socket either instead of 2.5 twin and earth. Was thinking of taking the socket off the wall and extending that cable using a properly rated choc block in an enclosure, which will then go to the new socket in the cupboard. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is often seen and done, installing outlets in nearby units for appliances or even under the unit behind the kicker/plinth board.
I prefer to have the isolation switch above worktop height, via either a correctly rated switch or a 13A Switched FCU, which is supplying the socket below the worktop for the appliance, then the socket can be conveniently installed behind the appliance.

Thanks for your reply. Yes. that is the preferred option, and on having a new kitchen that is what I will want. However, until that time, I want to move the socket to a convenient place inside a cupboard so I can at least isolate the appliance. Better that, than as it is now, with no means of local isolation I think.

Not the ideal positioning and some would consider it not a suitable fixing point for electrical sockets as the prefered option would by fixed to the fabric of the building.
But!
Moving sockets in kitchen is not so straight forward.
It what is called notifiable work.
looky here!

Sponsored Links
20A DP switch above feeding accessible 13A socket below.

Thanks for your reply. As I said before that's want I would want with a new kitchen, yes. But going back to my original question, I wish to move the socket to inside the cupboard so I can at least isolate the appliance, just wondering which method to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back