Dishwasher sounds like coffee machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of days ago the dishwasher had plenty of water inside the machine.
Looking at the outlet pipe I thought it was squashed a bit and the water would not drain away.
I squeezed it just to help,started the machine again and no problem,emptied and the cycle completed.
I've just put a bottle of cleaning fluid in the machine and I've now noticed what sounds like a kettle boiling dry,coffee machine etc ?
Looking inside there is no water dripping from the upper spray arm.
There is plenty of hot steam and a little water in the bottom.
Each time I shut the door the noise starts and I'm now looking around etc but noticed each time I open the door still no dripping water from spray and still lots of steam BUT the water is increasing in the bottom.
The inlet blue water pipe is cold to touch and the outlet where I thought is was squashed the other day has had another squeeze but machine is still Making this noise when I close the door.
The metal triangle plate inside the machine which has a cylindrical filter basket is empty and not blocked.

I've switched it off for 30 minutes and have now just switched it back on and within 1 minute etc it's making a gurgling sound again.

Hotpoint Aquarius FDW60
No flashing lights on front of machine.
It looks like it's stuck on the wash cycle going by the position of the green light.

Any advice what I need to do tomorrow in respect offault finding etc.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
Looking at the photo which part is the item in question please.
I also see some kind of capacitor ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 538
The red one. At the end of it there's a coil spring. In the middle of the spring is a small slot , can you turn that with a flat blade screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
I am shortly going to remove the d/w and put it outside to take a look at.
Please tell me the options as if i cant turn this or not ?

Hi,
I have it on a bench now and can confirm that it will turn no problem.
Ive also removed / replaced all the wire connections whilst i was there.

The noise that i could here last night from the back of the machine was coming from the plastic clear flat tube that goes up to the top spray arm.

I have noticed that inside the machine the tube at the back has a nut/seal which the upper spray arm touches,this seal has a section missing.
As i have it on the bench is there anything i can check etc

Not that this is the fault but telling you just in case.
Grey outlet pipe is clear & not blocked.
Checking the inlet hose in a bowl & turning the water on is also fine.
The tray at the bottom of the machine which has a float system was dry.

This morning where i opened the door there was much more water inside & had to use a jug to bail out all of it,where did this come from if it was switched off all night ?

The bit at the back is called a ring but. Should be rubber in there buts it's Perished new one about a fiver. Water in the tub could be from the waste pipe flowing back from sink. Put it back and turn it on see wot happens

The perished seal ive now ordered complete with its nut etc.
Ive taken the front panel off enough to press the catch in/out so i can see what is happening in the machine.
Electric/water connected on my drive & cycle starts.
I put a just of water in the bottom of the machine where that filter is situated.
Start the machine & it empties no problem,then the machine fills up also from the same place "didnt know it came from there"
Say about 2 inches of soapy water now in machine & away it goes.
Switched now manualy put in correct position & door shut.
I can here it going through its cycle & opening the door now & then i can see the lower arm spinning fine.
I also hear the machine empty.
Cycle was then on Rinse & ive not heard the coffee machine noise " but i have then been inside".
Dont see top arm spinning,or at least when i went out a few times but not sure if at the right cycle time etc.

As im typing this ive just been out & now on drying.

So where is the fault or what could it be ?

Thanks for the advice on this.

Pump could have been jammed with a bit of food or glass in it. Top arm won't spun properly till the ring nut is on there . You will notice how tight it will be when you push the top basket back with a new but on it.

Ok.
Tomorrow i will put it back where it lives.
Is it ok you use it whilst leaving the house regarding coffee machine noise should it do it again & we aint in to hear it and switch it off ?

I wouldn't. Leaving things on while out can cause fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back