Dishwasher still tripping after leak repair

Sponsored Links
Which does rule it out being a potential problem now I assume?

No, not necessarily - you are seeing the RCD trip, when you use the machine and to use the machine that switch has to be on.

RCD's are triggered to trip, by a difference in the amount of current, when comparing the L to N - any difference of more than 30mA, which is to enable it to detect when current might be flowing from the L, through you and to earth. Some current can also flow from the N to earth if they are shorted, which would also usually trip the RCD.

No, not necessarily - you are seeing the RCD trip, when you use the machine and to use the machine that switch has to be on.

RCD's are triggered to trip, by a difference in the amount of current, when comparing the L to N - any difference of more than 30mA, which is to enable it to detect when current might be flowing from the L, through you and to earth. Some current can also flow from the N to earth if they are shorted, which would also usually trip the RCD.

I'm getting confused now by this original potentially damaged socket.

The dishwasher isn't connected to that socket now, it's connected to another socket in the kitchen. via extension lead.

So can it still be problematic, despite being switched off at the countertop and with nothing plugged in? It's technically dead isn't it?

So can it still be problematic, despite being switched off at the countertop and with nothing plugged in? It's technically dead isn't it?

Turned off at the counter top isolating switch - no it cannot cause the RCD to trip, even if the socket is faulty. However, if the machine is faulty, then that can still trip the RCD, no matter which socket you plug it into.

Just to reassure you, some of these intermittent faults can be very difficult to track down. The greater the number of circuits controlled by one single RCD, the more difficult it becomes.

Sponsored Links
Turned off at the counter top isolating switch - no it cannot cause the RCD to trip, even if the socket is faulty. However, if the machine is faulty, then that can still trip the RCD, no matter which socket you plug it into.

Just to reassure you, some of these intermittent faults can be very difficult to track down. The greater the number of circuits controlled by one single RCD, the more difficult it becomes.

Haha, well that's what causes me stress - would much prefer if it was straightforward! Doesn't help I'm a worry wart over things anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Electrician came this morning, but his tester packed up yesterday so has had to order a new one! Typical!

He's changed the socket, but was wondering if the plug could be overheating because the dishwasher buts up quite close to the socket. And he thinks that the tripping on the extension lead could be coincidental.

We'll see how things go for now, but he's going to come back and test once he gets the new equipment or his old one fixed.

Dunno about the overheating tbh but, if the dishwasher is butted up tight against the plug. Vibration may be an issue. You can get slimline plugs. Have a look in the local diy shop and ask the sparky to fit it for you.

Dunno about the overheating tbh but, if the dishwasher is butted up tight against the plug. Vibration may be an issue. You can get slimline plugs. Have a look in the local diy shop and ask the sparky to fit it for you.

Well, I did notice the plug getting a bit warm on the extension lead when running the dishwasher. Should that happen??

I have been thinking of buying a replacement plug as well, they're around £15 for a genuine Bosch one. Just to see.

Well, I did notice the plug getting a bit warm on the extension lead when running the dishwasher. Should that happen??

I have been thinking of buying a replacement plug as well, they're around £15 for a genuine Bosch one. Just to see.

Plugs, running at 3kw for extended periods, can get warm - yes.

£15 seems silly, why genuine Bosch? Just buy a decent quality 13amp plug top.

Waste of money. A new one will make no difference. At least wait till your spark conforms this.

Well the electrician charged £45 this morning for being with us an hour, so I don't see £15 being that much just to see if the old plug/cable could have had some water damage after leak.

Well the electrician charged £45 this morning for being with us an hour, so I don't see £15 being that much just to see if the old plug/cable could have had some water damage after leak.
So when you find it makes no difference what will be the next item you randomly change? To keep changing parts without testing them is a waste of money and time. Let the sparks test the cable when he comes.

Because the machine is under warranty and best to use original parts? I don't know really, just seems more sensible?!

The matter of plug removal affecting warranty was discussed at length, so the lead could be passed through a worktop. The decision was that no it would not affect the warranty, cutting the plug off and fitting a replacement for the moulded on one, was a reasonable thing to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back