Dishwasher still tripping after leak repair

A photo of your consumer unit, with the flap open, may show if fitting an RCBO is feasible.

Sponsored Links
Ok. I wasn't sure if someone earlier in the thread said that if I only have one RCD, then there's no point changing circuits.

Do you have any socket circuit not supplied via an RCD, where you could possibly test it using a plug-in RCD?

Thanks for the help all.

Here is the picture of the circuit board, and I don't think there is a plug that's not supplied via RCD unfortunately.

Couple of questions, can an earth leakage be caused by an appliance that is off but still plugged in? Or do they need to be in use as well? I'm just trying to make a list of al the appliances that are on when we use the dishwasher, to see if there's something else going on.

I'm getting concerned that we could have another water leak in the house which is getting into the electrics. Had loads of bad luck this year so wouldn't surprise me tbh.

I just hope the electrician can work this out tomorrow, this is driving me a bit insane.

Attachments

• 2e9d062e-c4e9-4042-81a9-16035a85c746.jpg
    2e9d062e-c4e9-4042-81a9-16035a85c746.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 66
Ok. I wasn't sure if someone earlier in the thread said that if I only have one RCD, then there's no point changing circuits.

Circuit is different than the main RCD/RCBO, or whatever.
I am suggesting you use a different ring main than the one the dishwasher was plugged into originally.
That might have been damaged by the water leak.

Easy enough to do, just trip the circuit breaker which the dishwasher was plugged into and then find the nearest plug that works which will be on a different ring.

You might argue that an earth fault would happen cross-circuits but if so, any load on the system from the house would trip your system which isn't happening.

Sponsored Links
Circuit is different than the main RCD/RCBO, or whatever.
I am suggesting you use a different ring main than the one the dishwasher was plugged into originally.
That might have been damaged by the water leak.

Easy enough to do, just trip the circuit breaker which the dishwasher was plugged into and then find the nearest plug that works which will be on a different ring.

You might argue that an earth fault would happen cross-circuits but if so, any load on the system from the house would trip your system which isn't happening.
I can't make sense of any of that. There is only one RCD.

I can't make sense of any of that. There is only one RCD.

Houses are wired in circuits and ring mains etc.
Each circuit is protected by a MCB, Each CB is protected by a RCD/RCBO
Yes, the RCD sits at the top of the pyramid, but the circuits are individual.

If you are plugging in the Dishwasher into a different plug, then use a different circuit is all i am suggesting.

If you are plugging in the Dishwasher into a different plug, then use a different circuit is all i am suggesting.

The dishwasher plugs into a SOCKET not a plug.
Using a different circuit makes no difference as they (all circuits) go through the same RCD.

Here is the picture of the circuit board, and I don't think there is a plug that's not supplied via RCD unfortunately.
Socket - there isn't one not supplied by RCD.

Couple of questions, can an earth leakage be caused by an appliance that is off but still plugged in?
Yes.

Or do they need to be in use as well?
Not necessarily.

I'm just trying to make a list of al the appliances that are on when we use the dishwasher, to see if there's something else going on.
How would you be able to tell?

I just hope the electrician can work this out tomorrow, this is driving me a bit insane.
Yes - needs test equipment.

Any chance of one of you answering my questions rather than argue again? :D
Heh

In fairness, nothing is going to be fixed here so the electrician will sort it for you before we stop here.

An update would be great.

The electrician should fully test the circuit and the house whilst changing and sockets so that should the problem persist, you can be reasonably sure its the dishwasher not the supply at fault

Thanks both.

I just like to figure things out myself, but this is probably beyond me obviously. I was sure it was the socket, because it was fine using the extension lead, however it's gone with that now. But I did change extension leads 2 days ago because I needed the longer one for the xmas lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back