Dishwasher still tripping after leak repair

Well, that was an interesting read!!

Back to the dishwasher. I wimped out from changing the socket myself, and booked an electrician for Tuesday morning.

Just as well, because the ******* thing has tripped the electrics on the extension lead now!! It's been fine for 8 days until tonight. What on earth could be causing this......
A fault... assuming the extension lead is plugged into a different circuit now appears to be the machine itself. Please confirm it is/or is not a different RCD / RCBO

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So therefore it is the machine itself and how long ago was that suggested?

Unless you have a water leak, It's not an electrician you need, it's it's a white goods engineer, one who is capable of testing it properly. Personally I'd still go down the route of bypassing the filter for a few weeks.

I rang Bosch to book an engineer last week as well, but they didn't have any appointments, so I had to leave my details for customer services to ring me back - no call back so far. Very frustrating.

It doesn't make sense that the machine would run fine for 8 days on the extension lead though.

A fault... assuming the extension lead is plugged into a different circuit now appears to be the machine itself. Please confirm it is/or is not a different RCD / RCBO

The extension lead is on the same RCD - the kitchen circuit.

Sponsored Links
I rang Bosch to book an engineer last week as well, but they didn't have any appointments, so I had to leave my details for customer services to ring me back - no call back so far. Very frustrating.

It doesn't make sense that the machine would run fine for 8 days on the extension lead though.
It may very well be nothing to do with the machine, the 'fault' could be any other plugged in item.

But the electrics only trip when the dishwasher is on??

Is it also worth changing the dishwasher power cable??

Also, I have plug in RCD's which I use for xmas lights. Could I use one of them on the dishwasher when running. Would that help with diagnosing an appliance fault?

It might. but not if the dishwasher leakage is below about 30mA

you may have a cumulative fault, with several appliances all having slight leakage, which (sometimes) adds up to enough to trip the RCD.

When I was testing my house, I found a slight leakage on the circuit that fed a utility room with washer, drier and fridge, and was a bit damp when I moved in. It would sometimes trip when an iron and kettle were used as well. Earth leakages are most commonly found on watery appliances, especially those with heating elements, and ovens. multiple computers can also do it.

I'm lucky enough to have RCBOs, so faults are easier to track down.

Ok, struggling to understand what's meant by the dishwasher leakage being below 30mA!

Is this something a decent electrician can figure out? I've booked a guy in who's highly recommended. I'm just getting paranoid the house wiring is knackered (house is only 15 years old though) or we will need some parts rewiring.

I've noticed that underneath the sink gets very damp from condensation when the dishwasher is on, all the copper pipes are sometimes dripping wet. There's an earth cable clamped to the cold water supply that comes in the house where the sink unit is, and that gets wet also, could that be an issue?

Can someone explain to me if there's any point me plugging into another socket in another room.

On my circuit board I believe all the sockets are on one RCD. On the board I have an MCB for 'upstairs sockets', 'down sockets', 'kitchen', 'cooker', then the big RCD switch next to all those. Does that mean it's pointless me connecting to another power socket in the house?

It may very well be nothing to do with the machine, the 'fault' could be any other plugged in item.

It could even be an addition of several leakages - one on its own not leaking enough, but two together just over the limit.

Ok, struggling to understand what's meant by the dishwasher leakage being below 30mA!

Is this something a decent electrician can figure out? I've booked a guy in who's highly recommended. I'm just getting paranoid the house wiring is knackered (house is only 15 years old though) or we will need some parts rewiring.

I've noticed that underneath the sink gets very damp from condensation when the dishwasher is on, all the copper pipes are sometimes dripping wet. There's an earth cable clamped to the cold water supply that comes in the house where the sink unit is, and that gets wet also, could that be an issue?

Odd....

Can someone explain to me if there's any point me plugging into another socket in another room.

On my circuit board I believe all the sockets are on one RCD. On the board I have an MCB for 'upstairs sockets', 'down sockets', 'kitchen', 'cooker', then the big RCD switch next to all those. Does that mean it's pointless me connecting to another power socket in the house?

No.

Use a different circuit. If you get that tripping, its the machine. If not, its the circuit.

No.

Use a different circuit. If you get that tripping, its the machine. If not, its the circuit.

Ok. I wasn't sure if someone earlier in the thread said that if I only have one RCD, then there's no point changing circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back