Dishwasher still tripping after leak repair

Going back to 2010 approx we got a range of RCD's upload_2021-12-5_22-52-12.png with RCM built in. Seem to remember called the Eaton xPole which in the main seems today to bring up pole dancing rather than RCD's. But at the time I was having problems with tripping which my insulation tester and RCD tester were unable to find fault, so I considered the xpole and also auto-resetting, upload_2021-12-5_22-58-20.png now no longer permitted with domestic installations, but on moving opted for RCBO's and today not had any problems.

So even with all the testing tools, well not all I did not have a clamp-on ammeter to measure 0.001 amp, but nearly all the test gear, I could not detect the fault.

I assumed due to spikes on the supply, and blamed a neighbour who was a welder, although had no proof.

But for the normal guy in the street, there is very little he can do. As already tried unplugging things, and see if it stops, but to unplug a freezer is not really an option. Specially when the defrost cycle may only activate once every 24 hours.

We look for the likely candidates, outside lights, and items with mineral insulated heating elements, oven, washing machine, dishwasher, immersion heater etc. But in this case the dishwasher has been tested.

So two options.
1) The guy testing dishwashers did not do his job correctly.
2) It is some thing else and seems if dishwasher is the problem due to drawing a heavy current.

I hope @MrBrindle will tell us what he has found, but hard to think of any more DIY tests which have not already been done.

Sponsored Links
Yes for proving purposes running your dishwasher on a decent extension lead will be fine (decent meaning 1.5mm or larger cable). Don't leave any slack in the cables coiled up, lay it out loose.

So to update, the dishwasher has been running fine for 3 runs on the extension lead. It could be a coincidence, so I'm going to give it a few more days, but considering it was tripping up to three times per run previously, it's looking likely that it's not the dishwasher. I've only been using a short 2m cable, and been feeling for any warmth - seems ok.

So, next step suppose is changing the original socket? I have a few electrical shops around me, Screwfix have Schneider or Crabtree unswitched sockets - any good??

So to update, the dishwasher has been running fine for 3 runs on the extension lead. It could be a coincidence, so I'm going to give it a few more days, but considering it was tripping up to three times per run previously, it's looking likely that it's not the dishwasher. I've only been using a short 2m cable, and been feeling for any warmth - seems ok.

So, next step suppose is changing the original socket? I have a few electrical shops around me, Screwfix have Schneider or Crabtree unswitched sockets - any good??

Remove the socket, make safe the cable tips, and shove it on top the boiler for a day or two to dry out. Check that the cable isn't in conduit or the box itself isn't wet.
Might save you a few quid.....

Sponsored Links

I would leave doing anything a while longer, it could still be some moisture trapped somewhere and making it's way out. Nothing worse than changing a part, a problem disappearing then returning the day after the swap. Let it ride..

That's fair enough, however the dishwasher was unplugged for almost 2/3 weeks while I waited for the area to dry out - so there shouldn't be any dampness there now surely? The leak was repaired on the 11th November, so has been drying out since - used a dehumidifier for a few days too to speed things up.

That's fair enough, however the dishwasher was unplugged for almost 2/3 weeks while I waited for the area to dry out - so there shouldn't be any dampness there now surely? The leak was repaired on the 11th November, so has been drying out since - used a dehumidifier for a few days too to speed things up.

A plug socket is a sealed (ish) component. Water will stay in it until you remove it....

Speed of drying out, depends upon air flow, warmth and how intricate the wet item is. Obviously something is still improving, if now it is not tripping - stick with it a while longer.

A plug socket is a sealed (ish) component. Water will stay in it until you remove it....

Ok, I see what you mean. How do I make safe of the cable tips? Also, when taking the socket off, should I turn everything off in the consumer unit or will turning the dishwasher isolation switch on the countertop be ok? Probably best go with the former to be on the safe side.

Speed of drying out, depends upon air flow, warmth and how intricate the wet item is. Obviously something is still improving, if now it is not tripping - stick with it a while longer.

I think you've misunderstood! The dishwasher is now plugged into another socket via extension, and working fine, whilst previously it was tripping when plugged into it's designated socket, close to the leak, behind the kitchen units.

I think you've misunderstood! The dishwasher is now plugged into another socket via extension, and working fine, whilst previously it was tripping when plugged into it's designated socket, close to the leak, behind the kitchen units.

Sorry, yes I had misunderstood that part. In that case it might well be that socket.

Ok, I see what you mean. How do I make safe of the cable tips? Also, when taking the socket off, should I turn everything off in the consumer unit or will turning the dishwasher isolation switch on the countertop be ok? Probably best go with the former to be on the safe side.

*Caveats a plenty re safety etc *

Do both.
You've water ingress here so be careful.
Insulation tape would work, as would some connector blocks taped up.

However, if this is something you've not done before then perhaps just take a photo of the existing socket, and get a new one. they are as cheap as chips. That way you do the swap straight away and nothing is left on connected.
I'd use connector blocks, taped up and tuck the cable safely away whilst i dried out the socket on the boiler but then again i feel i am reasonably handy.

Very much a ymmv thing tbh.

Do both.

However, if this is something you've not done before then perhaps just take a photo of the existing socket, and get a new one. they are as cheap as chips. That way you do the swap straight away and nothing is left on connected.
I'd use connector blocks, taped up and tuck the cable safely away whilst i dried out the socket on the boiler but then again i feel i am reasonably handy.

Yeah I could take it off and pop down my local Screwfix to pick one up, it's only 5 mins down the road. Will probably go ahead with a straight swap, as like you said, it's only a few quid for a replacement. I'm presuming screwhole placement are universal across these sort of sockets? I've done a bit of plug replacing and fixing small appliance wiring, so this should be alright.

Thanks for the help.

Do both.
Why do you think tape is necessary on a connector block?

What is a ymmv thing?

Why are you giving advice if you consider yourself only reasonably handy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back