Dishwasher still tripping after leak repair

The matter of plug removal affecting warranty was discussed at length, so the lead could be passed through a worktop. The decision was that no it would not affect the warranty, cutting the plug off and fitting a replacement for the moulded on one, was a reasonable thing to do.

Was that discussed in this thread? Sorry, must have missed that.

Sponsored Links
The matter of plug removal affecting warranty was discussed at length, so the lead could be passed through a worktop. The decision was that no it would not affect the warranty, cutting the plug off and fitting a replacement for the moulded on one, was a reasonable thing to do.
This is that warranty/consumer rights thing again.

Not honouring a guarantee because you changed a plug wouldn't hold water (lol) in court.

If I were the spark, I would try and eliminate things from the equation.

My usual MO would be to isolate all appliances from fixed wiring and IR the fixed wiring. Then test the RCD operation and ramp test it too.

But if your guy had an inop test meter, he probably couldn't do that.

In your case, I would be sorely tempted to fit a temporary MCB on the non RCD side and connect a socket, then run a good quality 13A extension to the DW (make sure the flex is all played out), fitting an RCD adaptor to it.

This will tell you if the appliance has excessive (current) leakage on it.

Sponsored Links
But at least if he had fitted a temp non RCD protected socket, it would have separated the suspect machine from the RCD protected circuits.

Then if the RCD adaptor tripped, he would know there was an issue with the DW.

If he had an inoperative IR meter, it was pointless him turning up at all to a tripping RCD issue.

To be fair to him, when I rang him last week, I told him we needed to change a socket because all was working fine on the extension lead, then it tripped a day or so before he came. I probably should have let him know before coming, as he may have rearranged when he had his new/fixed test equipment.

You always need an open mind when fault finding.
upload_2021-12-15_11-13-24.png

Last edited:
OP: Are you any further forward?

Dishwasher ran fine first night after the socket change, but tripped twice last night.

Electrician is due to come back and do some testing, however I'm thinking I should ring Bosch because it's under warranty. Last time I went on the website to book, there were no slots!

Don't mention the water damage to the Bosch tech. He will just keep blaming it for the fault.

Don't mention the water damage to the Bosch tech. He will just keep blaming it for the fault.

Too late, my bloody partner told them when the engineer came first a few weeks ago. He even mentioned that if the machine is faulty, then we may not be eligible for a free repair or replacement because it was damaged by us (the leak). Which is nonsense, because water didn't even touch the machine.

Too late, my bloody partner told them when the engineer came first a few weeks ago. He even mentioned that if the machine is faulty, then we may not be eligible for a free repair or replacement because it was damaged by us (the leak). Which is nonsense, because water didn't even touch the machine.

Bah.

I had a similar battle with a neff (Bosch) dishwasher a few years ago. What i did was strip it down into bits and left it to dry out for a few weeks. Which did the trick.

(It wasn't tripping the electrics, but was tripping itself due to the bottom motor housing leaking).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back