Dishwasher under existing sink drainer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Surprising hw much info on this seems contradictory, hope you folks can help please.

I have an existing sink base unit approx 1000mm wide. Has the standard drawer and door fittings and has a plinth at the bottom.

Is is possible to buy an under-counter dishwasher and fit it fairly easy?
I know I would need a slimmer one not a 600mm wide one due to space, but does it sit on the floor and thus the bottom of the existing unit would be a problem??
Im also assuming removing the drawer and then attaching the door and drawer to the front of the dishwasher is the way to go yes?

Im ok with the electrical connection and plumbing points from water and to drainage, just need to know if the cabinet will be a problem dimensionally for doing this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot

Bobspoons

Sponsored Links
bob have you had a lot to drink today?

Sorry but Im not really sure why your comment would be helpful at all.

And no I hadnt been drinking.

I quite simply have not been around in-built dishwashers and while I know they are often built into new kitchens as a feature, I do not know how simple it is to retro-fit one into an existing kitchen and whether it affects the cabinet much or whether they can pretty much be housed within the existing cabinet.

I honestly thought this was a simple enough question to people with more experience than me.

ok bob lets start again. generally the dishwasher will go in its own space, say 605mm 0r whatever a slim one is, because its high, and deep. they almost touch the back wall so you cannot have anything behind them like pipes sockets or waste pipes. there is a slim recess at the bottom of the machine to allow services to pass from one side to the other
so to use the sink unit you would have to cut out the floor, and the back panel not leaving a great deal behind
most d/washers need to adjust their feet to let the machine touch the u/side of the worktop when in its final position so when you open both trays laden with crockery etc. the machine does not tip up (most but not all, some are freestanding) so yet another reason why under the sink may not work
have a think about this info, maybe try another location, and see whether that might work. you need to be next dooror close to , cabinet wise, to a power point and a waste outlet

Sponsored Links
thanks very much thats great advice and just what I was after.
I will need to do a lot of rethinking.
Thanks
Bobspoons

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back