Dishwasher & Washing Machine into 1 Standpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my washing machine and dishwasher wastes use the a single standpipe & trap and the waste pipes from the 2 appliances were just stuffed into the top of the standpipe.

As I'm going to be fitting a new kitchen I thought I'd do it properly. I'd still like them to share the same standpipe & trap but do it right this time.

I know plumbers merchants sell "Y" pieces but they are threaded on each end so that won't do.

I Googled and saw the attached photo how someone had done this using a 135 deg Tee and 2 x 135 deg bends but I'm wondering how he got the bottom of the 135 Tee to screw into the top of the trap when the solvent Tee isn't threaded ?

2016-04-15_1552.png

Has anyone any any other solutions ? Due to the layout of the kitchen I can't plumb them into the sink waste, so it has to be done using 1 or 2 stand pipes with traps sharing the same 40mm waste pipe to the gulley.

Sponsored Links
That's my handiwork!
There's a tiny section of solvent weld pipe in the bottom of the tee which you can't see.

Sponsored Links
That's my handiwork!
There's a tiny section of solvent weld pipe in the bottom of the tee which you can't see.

Great stuff, thanks for explaining how you did it.

Is there any advantage of your method vs the V33M if both appliances are discharging at the same time?

I've not seen the inside of one of those V33Ms and I didn't know they existed or I might have used one myself.
The only thing I would say is that if they have non-return valves inside they could get clogged with hair, lint and food debris which was what was happening with the drain-out kit I used before the 'upgrade' in my picture.
Due to the diameters involved you would get more flow through the 135° tee method, but you won't notice the lesser flow through the V33M nor will it affect performance.
Both discharging at once won't be a problem with either method.

Setup this dishwasher and washing machine hoses for a single Standpipe waste drain connection

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_070634945.jpg
    IMG_20230221_070634945.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20230221_070707387.jpg
    IMG_20230221_070707387.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20230218_132152554.jpg
    IMG_20230218_132152554.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 206
@cjenk - not relative us I'm afraid, this is primarily a UK site and as such we use slightly different types of fittings, though a similar setup may not be far removed.

That and you are replying to a thread that's nearly 7yrs old, unfortunately the site rules doesn't like old threads being resurrected.

May I say, maybe someone can still find an answer that will work for them (USA); I found this sight and was able to apply documented 7 yrs. Old responses helpful and applicable.

I'm not suggesting it isn't helpful hence the comment - "though a similar setup may not be far removed."

They don't lock old threads but ..... >>>
No 8 - (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back