Dismantling a conservatory with a glass roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is a question about an all glass conservatory.

If the glass roof panels are left in place and the lower glazing units are removed, will the PVC frame be rigid enough to support the glass roof?

15C74613-3CD5-426D-B5CA-CB8B5DD69299.jpeg

Thanks for any advice?

Ian.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)
The internal glazing, the sealed units, are not normally structurally integrated into the uPVC frames.
They are usually shimmed into the frames with expansion space all the way around.
With out the glass in, there may be some loss of rigidity to the frame, but that is all (although the shape of your conservatory will also help to maintain rigidity).
To ease your mind, you could remove the glazing beads around one of the sealed units (plenty of videos on YouTube about how to do this) and see how it has been shimmed. If there are no shims on top, you will probably be fine!

Thanks for this info, I am breathing a little easier now and I will probably do what you suggest by removing the beads around one of the sealed units.

... although try and avoid having all the glazing out on too windy a day. You wouldn't want wind uplift to carry the whole lot away! ;)

Sponsored Links
Wow - so as well as losing sleep over this I have to look at the weather forecast too :)

As Ramdom Grinch says, sealed units are not part of the structural integrity , you should have no issue removing them...if anything roof glass normally goes in before the ' window ' glass anyway.
You wouldn't want to be removing the glass on a windy say anyway lol ..glass.in frames and roof can easily be removed in one day
Once the glass is removed the conservatory structure will be rigid enough to withstand winds....it won't be once you start removing the roofing bars though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back