Dismantling old UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken off a 25 year old UPVC door and frame, but the door won't quite fit in my car to take to the tip. [The frame is knackered so don't think these items are saleable]. Can you dismantle the door - is it easy to take the glass out? I've spent some time searching on internet but none the wiser. Thanks for any advice. I've got an old estate car so can tale 6' lengths but door is bigger than that.

Sponsored Links
An angle grinder, or even a jig saw or reciprocating saw, each with suitable steel cutting blades.

Blup

I did the very same thing two weeks ago (also in an old twenty-something estate). One of the frames were reinforced so I just used a hack saw at either side of the frame. If you haven't got one just drill in the centre of the frame and whack it with a lump hammer! If it's not reinforced, piece of cake with a saw.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for replies and suggestions. As mentioned, corner welds were quite vulnerable and managed to smash these apart. I did also prise out plastic inserts that were holding the glass in place first. Removing the glass made it much lighter and also easier to whack the corners apart. It's now at the dump...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back