Dismantling tap - where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20210104_071806588.jpg
Handle won't unscrew and cap doesn't prise off!

Sponsored Links
Cap retainer has a serrated edge. This needs to be unscrewed to access spline screw.

Sponsored Links
This shows a similar tap with a screw top & quarter turn cartridge
@ 3mins 38seconds
This is a different mixer tap

Do you know the make/model of the tap, i went to a plumbers and they said there would be 100's of different replacement cartridges, so i needed to take it apart and bring along, they would see if they can match, in the end my tap would not come apart, it was much easier to replace for about £75

1. The cap is the white ceramic disc with "H" on it.
2. It is set into a slim chrome plated disc with serrated edges.
3. The serrations give you some grip to unscrew (anti-clockwise looking down on it) the cap.
4. Under the cap you will find the head of a screw, which holds the tap handle to the spindle.
5. Undo the screw, pull the handle off.
6. You should see a brass hexagon which is part of the body of the tap.
7. Unscrew the brass hexagon and the tap cartridge will come out.
8. The cartridges are often specific to the make and model of the tap. Screwfix do some "generic" ones which might fit. Otherwise take the cartridge and handle to a decent plumber's merchants and see if they can match it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back