Disposing of insulated plasterboard

I always thought that plasterboard was one of the environmentally friendly products.
Chalk and paper?
How wrong was I?
What gases are released by plasterboard???

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So I had a go at stripping it tonight, as nobody on the ecycle pages showed any interest....

Managed to strip 5 sheets worth in 90 minutes. Get the first 1ft off with a 10" scraper, carefully positioned between the board and the insulation. Then get a flat garden spade, and get it as low as possible, and just force it between the board and insulation until you get to the opposite end of the board. It took basically everything off, then just run the spade over 1 more time to get any odd bits.

That's easily £200 saved, and now I can dump it all for free :)

Thanks for the tips, and hopefully how I managed it will help someone else in the future.

Hire a skip ffs
Whenever I hire a skip they say PB is on the no-no list along with car tyres and part-filled paint cans, they let you put a little bit on top but that's it. How are you supposed to get a skip for a larger amount... like if you are rippling out a whole room/house to renovate?

Bag or skip just for plaster and plasterboard.
Some skip people will let you throw plaster and plasterboard on the top off general skip waste as long as you aggre prior, bag up but may cost a bit more.
1 ton bag is about £200.
2 ton skip is £200

Local company to me will pick up plasterboard from a 1 ton bag for £100

Put the plasterboard at the bottom of the skip, then fill with all the rest.

They photo them here as they go over the weigh bridge, and once tipped. Then it's an onerous mixed load and costs a fortune.

They photo them here as they go over the weigh bridge, and once tipped. Then it's an onerous mixed load and costs a fortune.
I always wondered with skips, does someone have to sort it all or does it just get taken to the dump?

Skip gets tipped out and sorted through. Everything gets sorted by hand. Wood. Metal ect.
Then they will chase you for more money when they see plasterboard.

I always wondered with skips, does someone have to sort it all or does it just get taken to the dump?

Here, they ask what will be going in it, and ask whats in it at collection. What you tell them / they see, determines where it goes. Burnables go to the dump, the rest goes to one of 2 recyclers, depending what it is.

There are charges for rejected loads, unexpected mixed loads, and huge charges if they find asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back