Distribution Board additional MCB or RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added the below photo of a wylex consumer unit.

How would the configuration be changed to add either an unprotected MCB or an RCBO. Is it a case of modifying the busbar or adding a separate feed wire for the standalone mcb/rcbo.

Sponsored Links
That board does not have any free capacity. Yopu would have to remove an existing circuit to add another.

There are no none RCD protected ways, so an RCBO is pointless

What is the new circuit for? who fitted the board with zero free ways?

Hello Adam thats an example picture and I have the same board but with free ways available.

I wanted to add either x1 unprotected MCB or RCBO.

So a suitable MCB/RCBO would need to be fitted although unprotected. Could a jumper be used, or am I missing something easier than modifying the busbar?

You can get boards with one, two, or three neutral bars designed for all RCBO, twin RCD or twin RCD with RBCO's the only option with two neutral bars is to have one with RCD and the other all RCBO's so 5 MCB's could be changed for 5 RCBO's or even 7 RCBO's as the RCD could be dispensed with however looking at that board not sure if there is room to fit any RCBO's as they are longer than MCB's and not sure they will physically fit.

The real point is if you have to ask have you got the skill required?

Sponsored Links
Hello Adam thats an example picture and I have the same board but with free ways available.

I wanted to add either x1 unprotected MCB or RCBO.

So a suitable MCB/RCBO would need to be fitted although unprotected. Could a jumper be used, or am I missing something easier than modifying the busbar?
As I said can't all one it's a case of changing all on one RCD to RCBO's or nothing if they will fit. Either change RCD for isolator or reconfigure board but if you have to ask then you have not got the skill required.

Remember any RCD device fitted into a board needs testing and I don't mean pressing test button. You need special test gear which from questions you ask I would guess you don't have.

IanNE seems to be making a habit of asking questions which show that he is not competent to do the work he thinks he should be doing and then getting bent out of shape when he gets the appropriate responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back