Disused gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the corner of my kitchen I have an old disused gas pipe. I am presuming that it is malleable iron. It comes up from the floor, and then just below the ceiling there is a tee piece with the pipe going through to next door. There is then what looks like a hex nibble going into a 90 degree bend and a rather large valve contraption before being finished with a blanking cap.

Rather unsightly. On the basis that it is unused (I removed the cap and opened the valve to double check), is it permissible for me to remove the bend, hex nipple and replace with a blanking plug myself or do I have to get a RGI in to do the job?

My plan is assuming it is permissible for me to do the work myself to scrape the paint of the nibble, remove, clean up, then insert plug and seal thread with Loctite 55.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking no. But you have already done the worst thing and removed the cap!

Where does the pipe go to?

Tony

If that pipe goes into a neighbours property them it may well be an old shared service pipe. That looks like a meter control valve (main cock)
If it is proven to be dead and disused then you can do as you wish, but I would suggest getting proof that it is dead.

If that pipe goes into a neighbours property them it may well be an old shared service pipe. That looks like a meter control valve (main cock)
If it is proven to be dead and disused then you can do as you wish, but I would suggest getting proof that it is dead.

It is definitely dead, had that confirmed when the new boiler was installed four years ago. Me removing the cap and opening the valve was curiosity more than anything else, though I note the cap was only finger tight!

However none of the RGI's that I have had out for work over the years have been willing to do anything with it and I am doing the kitchen up now and for obvious reasons I wish to minimize the pipe work on view, and an unused gas service valve in it's present state is unsightly to say the least.

My understanding is that old gas pipes have to be left capped hence my idea of using a iron plug on it, something like the following

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Galvanised_Malleable_Iron_Plugs.html

Sponsored Links
Well suppose I was fitting a boiler for you!

If I did not know what was on the other end(s) of the pipe then I would want to leave it capped!

Suppose your neighbour turned on the valve on his side and gassed you?

Tony

If it is a shared service then the only safe way is to contact your local gas transporter and have them confirm it is ok to remove.
You haven't confirmed that the pipe goes into you neighbours property or not. If it does and there is a similar situation there, then it is a shared service.
As you have removed the cap and opened the valve then it probably is a redundant pipe, but better to get it checked.

If it is a shared service then the only safe way is to contact your local gas transporter and have them confirm it is ok to remove.
You haven't confirmed that the pipe goes into you neighbours property or not. If it does and there is a similar situation there, then it is a shared service.
As you have removed the cap and opened the valve then it probably is a redundant pipe, but better to get it checked.

I don't intend removing the pipe, as it goes next door and that opens a whole can of worms. All I wish to do is remove the hex nipple, 90 degree bend and service valve and then cap again with an appropriate plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back