Shutting off gas for building work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been told by a 'gas board' engineer that I can shut off the gas service pipe valve at the meter, vent off the gas (carefully, windows open, etc) and remove the meter whilst building work is being done. It will be repositioned outside later. He even gave me a blanking cap for the service pipe!

(Re-connection from the meter will be by a GS engineer later after piping mods.)

Is this kosher?

Sponsored Links
If a blanking cap is fitted to the supply pipe then that is whats necessary to be done.

Normally it would be expected to be done by a GS engineer.

I am aware that many builders do turn it off themselves.

Legally only the gas supplier can remove the meter!

But again many builders do remove them and safely store them. To stop dirt entering them the two connections need to be capped.

It does make me wonder why the meter needs to be removed though!

Tony

Because the meter is now sitting in the middle of the lounge! (Having removed a couple of partition walls to reconfigure the space.) :LOL:

That's a good reason. :LOL:

Your RGI should know what to do. As Tony said, make sure he caps both ends of the meter.

Sponsored Links
How is the meter going to be moved outside???? Is the service pipe bei g moved by the transporter? By rights as said only someone holding a certifcate for meters can remove it, but people can't go dicking around with service pipes.
Also if the emergency control valve is more than 2m away from the meter another valve must be added.
Something smells fishy about this....

Where is/was your meter and incoming service pipe at present? Where is it being moved to outside? Is the builder using a purpose provided meter box? He's not allowed to touch the regulator neither.

How is the meter going to be moved outside???? Is the service pipe being moved by the transporter? By rights as said only someone holding a certifcate for meters can remove it, but people can't go dicking around with service pipes..

Wales & West will be doing it.

Also if the emergency control valve is more than 2m away from the meter another valve must be added..

They'll move that too!

Something smells fishy about this.....

Why?

Where is/was your meter and incoming service pipe at present? Where is it being moved to outside? Is the builder using a purpose provided meter box? He's not allowed to touch the regulator neither.

The builder is going nowhere near it! All work will be done by W&W including a new external box.

No no, thats ok sorry wasnt incinuating anything...
Just sounded worrying when talk of removing meters and being put outside thats all with no mention of the transporters activities.

Used to work for a transporter and saw many instances of builders attempting to move services themselves....one used water plastic pipe for example :eek:

As said though and I'm sure you have already, make sure the ECV and outlet is well capped off and then meter has some dust caps on it, even toilet paper as they stink when removed :confused:

Apologies if I made it sound like I was teaching you to suck eggs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back