Capping off Gas Supply

What is that lump of copper behind the meter doing- is it water or something else? Like gas to the boiler?
I have no idea.. do you mean the thing behind it? Here's a pic of the whole cupboard, and a slightly clearer one of the back. Any good?
lit up down.jpg
lit up down.jpg

Attachments

• cupboard2.jpg
    cupboard2.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
I have only just noticed pics! Are you BC sure that he could not do it simply because the square shank of the plug has been cut? It would have been cut to level it to the floor.
With the correct tool and possibly removal of timber it may be possible to grip the body and turn it

Do you mean then there would be no need to dig and it could just be re-capped/sealed it in some way?

Also fyi the boiler was replaced around a year ago - not sure if that clarifies on the pipe you were talking about? Let me know if you need any more info

I have only just noticed pics! Are you BC sure that he could not do it simply because the square shank of the plug has been cut? It would have been cut to level it to the floor.
With the correct tool and possibly removal of timber it may be possible to grip the body and turn it
Also yes I think it was cut to level it to the floor, the guy said he'd have to either excavate the concrete there to be able to cap it (or redo the whole gas supply). So do you mean that with the right tool it can be fixed without digging?

That's a very odd looking piece of copper- I was hoping it connected to the iron somewhere visible- now I'm not even sure if it's pipe :)

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhhhhh. Plenty of room to drill a hole and put a stud extractor in there- if that's the only problem (ie that cap is passing rather than underfloor pipe rotting) then that would be one way out.

That's a very odd looking piece of copper- I was hoping it connected to the iron somewhere visible- now I'm not even sure if it's pipe :)
Sorry don't think I sent the pic of the whole cupboard before.. I'm not sure what copper thing you mean so hopefully this helps
cupboard2.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh. Plenty of room to drill a hole and put a stud extractor in there- if that's the only problem (ie that cap is passing rather than underfloor pipe rotting) then that would be one way out.
So assuming it is the cap rather than the underfloor pipe rotting, do you mean the cap could just be replaced/resealed without having to dig beneath the concrete?

Hah. I was looking at what I thought was copper tube rising behind the gas meter. Those 2 straight down shots made me think it wasn't a tube (plus no visible connection to gas pipework), that shot confirms it as electrical and definitely not gas :)

So assuming it is the cap rather than the underfloor pipe rotting, do you mean the cap could just be replaced/resealed without having to dig beneath the concrete?

Yes, assuming there is nothing else wrong. Go for it, but get your gasman back to reseal and test

On a slightly different note, what is your new boiler - not a combi, I hope ?

Quick update - I wrapped some tape around it and put the gas back on to test - really can't smell anything at all! So at least I know that it's definitely just the cap and not a bigger issue with the pipes. I have someone coming tomorrow to see if he can replace the cap, and I'll ask him to do the pressure test thing on the meter first (because right now it doesn't seem like anything is leaking!)

@FiremanT - not a combi, it's a valiant which has been in about a year now.

Quick update - I wrapped some tape around it and put the gas back on to test - really can't smell anything at all! So at least I know that it's definitely just the cap and not a bigger issue with the pipes. I have someone coming tomorrow to see if he can replace the cap, and I'll ask him to do the pressure test thing on the meter first (because right now it doesn't seem like anything is leaking!)

@FiremanT - not a combi, it's a valiant which has been in about a year now.

You had a gas man visit initially who suggested a re pipe, but he left the gas leak in a condition that you can turn back on?

You had a gas man visit initially who suggested a re pipe, but he left the gas leak in a condition that you can turn back on?
I think because it was around that 0.4 / 4 mark so just a very slight leak, and at that point I needed a day or two to think about which option to go for,

I'm still waiting to hear back from the other plumber and am keeping my fingers crossed he'll be able to remove and replace the cap.

I think because it was around that 0.4 / 4 mark so just a very slight leak, and at that point I needed a day or two to think about which option to go for,

I'm still waiting to hear back from the other plumber and am keeping my fingers crossed he'll be able to remove and replace the cap.

Was he Gas Safe Registered? There is ZERO tolerance if a gas small is reported.
It is not a small leak if you can HEAR AND FEEL it! And it has been reported fir at least 5 days without it being sorted. The gas needs to be isolated while you are “thinking about it”

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back