Capping Gas Lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be moving a kitchen from one room to another, which means capping off excisting water and gas line. Do I need to get the gas board in to cap the gas line or just go ahead myself. I will be using compression fittings to do the sealing and not soldered.

Sponsored Links
Interesting question.

My understanding is that you can do this sort of thing in your own house.

You couldn't do it for someone else, whether they paid you or not, however in your own house, provided you are compitent then my understanding is that you are well within your rights to do so.

Depending on your ability it could save you money, or it could cost you the price of a new house if you blow yours up!!!!

I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone will correct me if so.

(BTW, I'm not saying it is a good idea, just that you can if you want, whether or not you do it should be based on your personal abilities)

It is not my house, that is why I need to know the regs so that I do not fall fowl of the authorities.

Sponsored Links
Understand that. Would it be ok to disconnect the cooker and plug the end till the Cogi guy does the cut and seal. This is to not slow down the clearout of the room.

cahliss said:
Understand that. Would it be ok to disconnect the cooker and plug the end till the Cogi guy does the cut and seal. This is to not slow down the clearout of the room.

If its a bayonet fitting then no problem, just take it out - anyone is allowed to do that and you shouldn't get a gas leak!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back