capping off gas pipe costs

No idea how long it takes to test though so sorry about that, didn't take that into account. tbh would anyone bother testing this anyway?

Hell yeah!... Two tests actually... One before I start work to make sure that there are no leaks before I lay one finger on your pipework and one when I've finished to make sure that I haven't caused a leak...

Sponsored Links
2 mins to solder a pipe. Then pressure test it whilst still hot? :LOL:

Whatever the area's standard rate for 30 - 60 mins work is perfectly reasonable.

To add to FiremanT.... Not only do you have to get there but you also have to include for ...

Liability Insurances, (against burning your house down, so it can be rebuilt!) Registration fee's! Qualifications and development! Memberships! Vehicle running costs! Road tax! Commercial Insurance! Carrying dangerous goods insurance! Waste transporters licence! VAT! Tax! NIC's! Tools! Depreciation! Replacements! Fuel! Workwear! PPE! Telephone! Stationary! Accountancy! Bank charges! Utilities! ......and thats before you even leave the house!

£50.00 seems quite fair to me.
Not a complaint, but a lot of customers dont even think of the above.

Sponsored Links
No idea how long it takes to test though so sorry about that, didn't take that into account. tbh would anyone bother testing this anyway?

Hell yeah!... Two tests actually... One before I start work to make sure that there are no leaks before I lay one finger on your pipework and one when I've finished to make sure that I haven't caused a leak...

Plus if its done properly, gas installation 26.9 says that the entire installation should be checked for safety, effectiveness of flues, ventilation, burner pressure etc, bit more than ten minutes!

Blimey who'd of thought that capping a pipe would be so complicated!
No wonder people DIY stuff....

All that extra stuff, it's kind've like getting the buyer to pay your paypal fees imo... It shows you the knock on effect of all these rulings and fuel costs going up - vicious circle really - seriously it's at most 2 quid in parts....

So ok realistically, if this is say an hours work - that's 50 quid an hour - so get 8 of these done a day - thats 400 quid a day x 5 = 2000 quid a week not including weekends ? To cap off gas pipes? damn i'm in the wrong line of work....

So ok realistically, if this is say an hours work - that's 50 quid an hour - so get 8 of these done a day - thats 400 quid a day x 5 = 2000 quid a week not including weekends ? To cap off gas pipes? damn i'm in the wrong line of work....[/quote]

I thought you said you would be happy to pay a reasonable £50?

I refer you to my and MIGEM's post.

Bored now. Why not just pick up the phone. As I said, you might get it done for peanuts, but you csn spend all wekk here and not get the answer you are looking for.

me too,
In fairness in my original post, I only asked for a simple basic price, not a lecture for simple basis of finding quotes - nothing else - a simple answer would've sufficed :)

I can see why the site is called diyNOT now ;p

There are lots of jobs that DIYers can do... Gas work is one job that we strongly advise against.... We see lots of DIY gas work as we go about our business. I regularly have to charge to put it right, I'm sure the other gas fitters are just the same...

You didn't want to know originally how to do the job, you wanted to know how much....You are on the wrong site, you need compare the gasman dot com.... Or a telephone.

When you are at work ask your boss how much he charges your labour out to his customers.... You'd have a fit! Then tell him that you are off to work for yourself charging what he carges...See how loud he laughs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back