Capping off Gas Supply

Yes he is gas-safe registered. It was a small leak when he came and tested (I feintly smelt it but wasn't certain and he could not smell it when he came in at all), and after the tape/gunk was cleaned off the cap is when I say I could hear and feel it. Now there is new tape, you can't smell, hear or feel anything. I also have a smart meter which confirmed no gas is being used when I tested by putting the gas on and keep the boiler etc off, ie currently no leak. I have switched it off at the meter, and am keeping it that way until I can get someone else in who can can hopefully remove/replace the cap, and if not I'll be getting the whole gas pipework re-done.

Sponsored Links
  • Yes he is gas-safe registered.
  • after the tape/gunk was cleaned off the cap is when I say I could hear and feel it.
  • Now there is new tape, you can't smell, hear or feel anything.

(n)(n)(n)(n)

Surely a tightened test was carried out before applying the new tape, as required in the regulations?

yes - but he did the test before the old tape etc was taken off. It was after that that he looked at the cap and said he couldn't just remove it (as it had been cut), and suggested the re-do gas pipes for the house completely was the best way to go

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes he is gas-safe registered. It was a small leak when he came and tested (I feintly smelt it but wasn't certain and he could not smell it when he came in at all), and after the tape/gunk was cleaned off the cap is when I say I could hear and feel it. Now there is new tape, you can't smell, hear or feel anything. I also have a smart meter which confirmed no gas is being used when I tested by putting the gas on and keep the boiler etc off, ie currently no leak. I have switched it off at the meter, and am keeping it that way until I can get someone else in who can can hopefully remove/replace the cap, and if not I'll be getting the whole gas pipework re-done.

Oh my Good God.

Sponsored Links
Oh my Good God.

This is ridiculous. For a leak to register on the meter quickly enough to notice, and to hear and feel it is NOT a smallleak.
You and the alleged RGI are both in contravention of the Gas safety laws - in your case because you are knowingly using an unsafe supply. He just defies any logic.

Turn off the gas now for the safety of you, your family and neighbours

EDIT: just noted that you say you have already turned off the gas (although you would say that)

The gas is off. I only put it on for the test (which was days ago), and that was really to try and figure out if it was definitely the cap and not a problem somewhere else in the pipe, in which case I would go for the re-do gas pipe work anyway. Anyway I watched the smart meter like a hawk and I expected it to go up a bit at least as it was just tape, but there was absolutely zero. And no smell obvs etc.. So I think useful to know.

It's been off since, I really wouldn't take any chances on that front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back