Diverter valve leak Halstead Ace High

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced the diaphragm in the diverter valve DHW flowswitch due to problems with hot water. The old diaphragm was cracked, and the boiler now works fine under both hot water and central heating, except for very slight water leak which persists from where the flowswitch connects with the main diverter valve (it was leaking from the same place before).

Maybe I haven’t correctly seated the little o-ring that came with the service kit. I placed it round the spindle close to the disk while applying silicone sealant on the spindle, and fixed the small nut to the housing beforehand. Stupidly, I didn’t check how the o-ring sat when I dismantled the flowswitch.

Could someone suggest if I have fitted the kit correctly and how to cure this problem? The leak is very slight, about a drop per minute and I observed that it only occurs when hot water is running doesn’t seem to happen when central heating is on.

Boiler is Halstead Ace High (Wickes Combi 102), 9 years old, had the same kit replaced by Halstead engineer about 7 years ago (one-off under warranty), and also the inner service kit of the diverter valve a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that you removed the old small o ring ? you would probably have to have prized it out with a small screwdriver as they are pressed in ?

Are you sure that you removed the old small o ring ?

I believe I must have but I can’t remember (sorry) as I did this a couple of weeks ago, and have been noticing the source of the leak ever since. As I undid the old nut from the housing, surely the old ring would have come out? I tried to press the new o-ring in the small recess inside the housing after replacing the nut.

If I were to dismantle the flowswitch and redo the process again, how do you suggest I do it the correct way?

No the old o ring would definately not have just come out take the nut or front end seal as it is correctly called back off and you will see if you have two o rings , my money is on that the origionall is still in position, chances are you have knackered the new one though if you have tightened the front end seal with both o rings on there

Sponsored Links
... chances are you have knackered the new one though if you have tightened the front end seal with both o rings on there

OK I have obviously not done it correctly then, as the new o-ring was simply placed round the spindle of the diaphragm disk close to the point where the spindle passes through the front end seal. In other words, it would be moving with the spindle inside the housing.

I can’t recall if I actually removed the old o-ring when I replaced the front end seal, so should still be in there. I have a few similar small sized o rings so will give it a try again, thanks.

The o ring goes on the outside of the housing , you will see what I mean when you remove the front end seal

Thanks, at least I now know the source of the problem (I hope), but when I rang Halstead technicians yesterday, I was asked to change the inner service kit of the diverter valve as well, as the technician suggested the leak could also be occurring from there! All I wanted to know is whether I had fitted this one correctly, which you have answered, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back