Diverter valve leaking - which parts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak from where the DHW flowswitch attaches to the diverter valve of a Halstead Finest Gold boiler. There is a large buildup of crud/rust around the end of the diverter valve, microswitch, retaining clip and on top of the HE. I haven't dismantled it all yet but on inspection, I've also noticed a small amount of greenish crud appearing around the base of the pimary flowswitch where it attaches to the DV.

I'm assuming I need:

DHW microswitch - althought the existing one still works - just looks pants!
Diverter valve service kit

But, I'm confused whether the service kit includes the necessary seals etc or not as there are several references to different contents and part numbers! Would I be better off, considering the extent of crud, replacing the whole diverter valve?

Thank you,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Why do you think that anyone reading will have any idea of your boiler model?

But, I'm confused whether the service kit includes the necessary seals etc or not as there are several references to different contents and part numbers! Would I be better off, considering the extent of crud, replacing the whole diverter valve?

Thank you,

Dave.[/quote]

Yes, I would replace the whole valve, the days have gone when proffesionals can afford to try and repair things like this.

Clicking on your links revealed the models that these kits refer to. They contain all necessary parts that you will need to overhaul the valve and stop it leaking. Just work methodically and protect the electrics from water damage. I always repair a diverter valve if a kit is available.

Sponsored Links
I would attemp service as opposed to replace the complete unit. Might just be an o ring seal that is worn. You need to remove, look and replace as necessary

I've also noticed a small amount of greenish crud appearing around the base of the pimary flowswitch where it attaches to the DV.
There's nothing in the kits shown to help with that OR the other switch spindle leak.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewto...12380de8e2706cfe92cfa25#ixzz1Np4HEmIo[/QUOTE]

Sorry Chris, I'm confused. The link you've posted seems to go straight to this thread. Are you saying that the service kit I've posted a link to does not include what I'll need? If so, can you link to a kit or part(s) that will do the job?

Thanks again,

Dave.

You only want the gland nut though don't you?, sure it's available as a spare on its own. Probably worth replacing the microswitch if water has got into it.

You only want the gland nut though don't you?, sure it's available as a spare on its own. Probably worth replacing the microswitch if water has got into it.

I don't know as I haven't dismantled it yet - just visual inspection so far. I suspect, due to the age of the boiler, I maybe better off replacing all the internals hence why I thought of the service kit. I will definitely replace the microswitch though as it looks horrible - surprised it's still working!

What is that part normally referred as? I can't find it listed anywhere. As an aside, I assume I'll need to replace the o-rings in the HE and other attachments - pipes, etc - could anyone tell me what sizes these are going to be and anything else that I'll need to be aware of before I tackle it?

Silly question: I presume I'll need to remove the whole valve assembly to properly clean and replace the internals?

The link was auto-generated by the forum :rolleyes:

The gland seals , for the thin shafts, aren't included in the kit you referenced.
It sounds like yours are leaking.
By the time you faff about looking for individual comonents from aftermarket suppliers, you'd probably be better off buying a whole new valve and just changing it.
The microswitch assembly won't need changing if the switch is still working, though the clip can be corroded to hell.
Pros do things differently:
I'd assemble parts, bought from aftermarket suppliers, already in my spares box, and refurb the valve in situ in a few minutes, once it's drained. That option won't be available to you!
Changing the valve once the boiler's drained, is about 10 minutes, half a dozen nuts, washers etc..
Change that to 1000 minutes if you don't have the right spanners ;)

That's so frustrating - why on earth not?!

So, if I ordered this instead, what else would I need to complete the job? I'm assuming that a new complete valve won't come with everything either - washers, etc?!

Already ordered the other parts today, oh well!

That's so frustrating - why on earth not?!

Cos the reality is that it's something that a chap gets better at when he does it every day. I expect you get better at your job with experience?? . If something goes wrong, a pro would know what to do and just do it. A diyer just wouldn't know.

You might need some half and 3/4 inch washers - and again, I've got abox of each and the other sizes as well. There are two or three different sizes of half inch washers of course... There are lots of after market suppliers of all sorts of bits - some of which are just poor copies.

This is the world of plumbing. You buy new stuff and it's rubbish or doesn't fit, so you have to manage. Then get the other bits you didn't realise you needed...

Your problem may be that you need something and you can't buy it. It won't be a plumbers merchant thing, and a boiler spares place may just ask you for a part number and look dumb :eek: at you.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back