Diverter Valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

That time of year again, where your boiler is overworked due to cold weather, and mines thrown a hissy fit!

Its a valliant ecotech pro28 r2, and it looks like the diverter valve is leaking (not sure where about's on the valve, but its coming from there.

Is this a common problem or has anyone come across this before?

I've got a gas safe registered plumber coming over later more likely looking to replace it myself as he's coming out of good will/return of a favor i did him rather then a paid job, so wandering if its possible for me to replace it myself? I'd say I've a fairly good understanding/working knowledge of water plumbing (rest of the house was plumbed my myself and my father) and given that its water side only (i.e. not gas) I'm confident i can give it a go. Will shut off all supplies to and from (gas, water and elec) and drain out the boiler before removing, anything else i should be aware of or any tricks to assist?

Sponsored Links
I'm a plumber (not a heating engineer) but managed to change the diverter valve in my Ideal boiler with no problems at all. If you have your service/user instructions, you might find the procedure in there. Go for it.

Thanks Squeeky,

Managed to sort it out last night, Vallient part is a total replacement (rather then replace parts with in the unit).

All in all, 1 nut, 2 C clips and 3 screws to remove after isolating supplies. Valve in this case had to be pushed to the right to disconnect from the pump.

Insert new washers as per supplied diagrams and reverse of removal!

Quite an easy job, though the central heating pipe inside the boiler was a bit of a pain. The pipe doesn't quite line up with elbow installed so had to ensure that the nut takes the threads correctly by pushing the pipe around a bit to get it in the right position.

All done, checked again this morning to ensure no leaks and looks good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back