Diverter Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton combi boiler and about three years ago I noticed that the central heating was activated when the water only was activated i.e. the radiators would heat up. About 2.7 years ago the diverter valve was replaced in my Potterton Boiler by a local plumbing company (see linked question). I advised the company shortly after that there was an improvement i.e. the radiators were not pipeing hot - just slightly warm. At the time I was informed that it was normal for this to happen to prevent overheating when the water was on i.e. heat would escape through the central heating. However, this has got gradually worse.

I had the boiler serviced in July by the same comapny and again I was advised that it was normal for the radiators to warm up if the heat needed to escape i.e. to prevent overheating. However, today anther plumber from the same company (the owner in fact) arrived and negated this statement. He has advised me to replace the diverter valve again. He has said that a diverter valve could last six months or could last ten years. I have a few questions:

1) Should the boiler service at the end of July have identified this as an issue? I did mention is at the service, however the servicer said it was normal to prevent overheating.

2) Should the diverter valve last more than 2.7 years?

I am happy to pay for another diverter valve to be fitted if necessary. However, likewise I don't want to be taken advantage of. Hence the question. Should I take issue at any of this or just suck it up?

Sponsored Links
Should the boiler service at the end of July have identified this as an issue?

Not necessarily

Should the diverter valve last more than 2.7 years

Depends on the system .

I did mention is at the service, however the servicer said it was normal to prevent overheating

For some boilers this may well be true. It also depends on the interpretation of the degree of hast entering the system.

@Razor900 how reliable are your diverted valves?

Oh, wait :LOL:

If diverter faulty again I would have a punt at saying system water quality isn’t clean enough and causing to fail.
Difficult to say for sure without seeing it.

Not sure what boiler you have as lots o potterton combis but could also be plate heat exchanger is very dirty and gives similar symptoms like a faulty passing diverter valve.

Sponsored Links
Eugh. One of those schitboxes.

It has a VC series diverter and they're particularly prone to system contamination. Although otherwise a good and reliable valve.

You won't need a new valve just a cartridge.

Eugh. One of those schitboxes.

It has a VC series diverter and they're particularly prone to system contamination. Although otherwise a good and reliable valve.

You won't need a new valve just a cartridge.
Thanks. How much would I expect to pay for a cartridge? The plumber visited and quoted £310 (excluding vat). How long would you expect the valve to last?

OK, for the third time. It depends

May I ask what it depends on? As previously stated I have a Potterton Powermax HE and it was installed 2002-2003.

The reason I ask is because I am trying to decide if I should take issue with the plumber who installed a new diverter valve 2.7 years ago. Thanks for your responses.

:rolleyes: It depends on whether or not the system has any sludge/contamination in it.

It is not going to be the fault of the person that put the last diverter valve in.

:rolleyes: It depends on whether or not the system has any sludge/contamination in it.

It is not going to be the fault of the person that put the last diverter valve in.

Are you able to point me to a webpage, which advertises the parts I may need i.e.

1) Diverter valve
and
2) Cartidge

Why do you think it is just the cartridge that needs replacing?

Thanks again for answering.

I have a potterton Powermax HE 85 CP.

afraid not the best of boilers and as you have been advised if your system water is poor you are likely to have the same problem on a regular basis

The original plumber is finally available this week and is visiting on Friday.

I bled a few of my radiators at the weekend. Since I did this the pressure seems to increase to 2.7 when the heating is on and then falls back to normal levels once the pressure is switched off - one one occasion it fell to 0.4 and caused an error and I had to increase the pressure manually as per the user documentation.

What could be causing this?

Also is it necessary to flush the system before replacing a diverter valve (bearing in mind that two of the radiators do not appear to work).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back