Diverting the vent stack in a top-floor flat. Can we do it?

P

peter1234

I have a top floor flat in a four-storeys high building. The soil stack/vent stack runs from floor to ceiling along the middle of a wall in my bathroom. Its location is an obstacle for an optimal bathroom design. The problem could be solved if the vent stack was diverted towards a corner in the bathroom, and then made to run upwards along the corner; and when the vent reaches the ceiling diverted again until it reaches its entry through the ceiling into the loft. Is it possible to make this change? All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You're top floor, so just a vent with no connections above you? Go for it, no harm done.

Many thanks to Denso13 for the reply. I have two more questions.

1 - The buildings were built around 1895, and refurbished around 1986. I am not sure if the stack vent is made of cast iron or ceramic. If we divert the stack vent, is it possible to choose, for instance, plastic extensions? Plastic vent extensions would be lighter.

2 - For flats where the bathrooms face external walls, the vents run along those walls on the outside, and the vent pipe is visible some 20 cm above the roof. Our bathroom is located below the highest part of the roof, and we are not sure if the vent runs all the way to the top of the roof, or if it ends a feet or so above the loft base surface. Could you please advise on the usual building practice? How long does the vent pipe that enters the loft should be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back