DIY 5-a day soup, in 6 minutes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thought I would share this interesting and very lazy, ultra healthy soup routine I've got into. For those of you interested in getting your 5-a day, but wanted to put the absolute least amount of effort (and cost) into it!

You need to know that, apparently: 80grams of one type of vegetable (or fruit) is considered 1 of your 5 a day.

You will need:
* 5 packets of a different frozen veg at the supermarket. (Cost, £5 exactly. Each bag is about 1Kg for £1)

(Frozen is better than "fresh" because it is frozen immediately, retaining the highest nutritional content percentage)

* Different soup flavour stock cubes - "Know" has a big range.

* Salt

* Blender

* Kettle.

Steps:

1. Set the kettle boiling
2. Work out what 80g of veg looks like in your favourite mug. Put 5 different 80g portions of different veg in the blender.
3. Add boiling water (more depending on how thick/thin you want it)
4. Add 1 stock cube and salt
5. Add anything else you want.
6. Blend for minimum of 4 minutes to give everything a good chance to mingle.
7. Store in fridge for later, or eat/drink half. Makes about two large bowls. Microwave to heat.

Time taken: About 6 minutes. And most of that is just waiting around.

To wash up the blender, add the remainder of your kettle's boiling water into the blender (about 1/4 full is enough) add a drop of washing up liquid, put the lid on, swizzle around and shake, empty out, rinse, done. At first swizzle, ensure there is a slight air gap in the lid as the hot water pushes the air out. You'll hear it. Then tighten and do the rest.

Ridiculously simple, very healthy.
Total cost of the meal(s), about 25pence I'd guess.

Try it, let me know your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
there's a lot of salt in your version, including the stock cube.

I don't see the cooking time for my favourite, parnsips..

The key to success is in the stock - a good bouillon (freshly made and frozen) or decent "cube" is worth the effort.

Soups are ridiculously easy to make from all sorts of leftovers, pulses etc.

I think the stock cube contains about 60% your RDA of salt. You don't need to add additional salt, and this makes enough for lunch and dinner if you were inclined.

Sponsored Links
1 cup off split lentils 30p
150grams cooking bacon another 30p

2 large carrots 10p
2 large onions 10p
1 stock cube any except beef 10p

soak the lentils for a couple off hours
fry onions then small cubed bacon add to pan with 1.75L of water and boiling and lentils
grate and add carrots skin and all[top and tail and wash]chop the last bit into chunks add to the pan as the pan starts to boil over
deglaze the frying pan with half a cup off water add a table spoon off mixed herbs teaspoon off ground black pepper table spoon off hot curry powder
teaspoon off hot chilli/paprika/crushed chillies/white pepper i add them all but i like it hot
stock cube only nessisary if you don't add at least 2 hot options above [including curry powder]
add boiling water to around 2 to 2.25L the soup will thicken

turn down to minimum and simmer for 40 mins

i like mine with texture so eat as is you can puree if you wish

soup will last a week in the fridge and around 6 350ml -400ml portions off thick soup for 15p a portion i have it 4 or 5 days on the trot lol

i do not use salt at all the spices more than make up the taste

i get more than enough salt from the hidden salt in the proccesed food i eat

I'm sure that soup is nice. However, mine is really strictly for lazy people who don't like fussing about with cooking ;)

to be honest it only takes around 15 mins total to make the soup chop 2 onions 3 mins grate carrots another 3 mins by this time the water is boiling add carrots 1 min chop bacon 3 mins by this time the onions are ready and whist the bacon is browning you place the herbs and spices into a cup

you could save time by chopping the carrots i suppose ;)

i do see where your coming from though :D

Pretzelz, I'm sure I saw your recipe for soup on Master chef :LOL:

Two onions 10p ? I paid 69p yesterday from the local shop for one large onion.... :eek:

i buy mines by the sack
must be honest i just plucked a figure out off the air even if the carrots are 50p and the onions are 50p its still cheap as a carton off soup costs £1.50-£2.50 for around 500ml

We use a slow cooker which is ideal for soups stews and lobby , you know put the chicken carcass in and lob any veggies in that you have round or have in the garden and just leave it to do its thing.

We use a slow cooker which is ideal for soups stews and lobby , you know put the chicken carcass in and lob any veggies in that you have round or have in the garden and just leave it to do its thing.

mines normally "matures" in the slow cook for an hour or so ;)

slowcooks are so so brilliant at making cheap cuts off meat delicious :cool: :cool:

Road kill up this end john would be a rat or frog.

You may find the x smackhead hanging from someones gutter, but he'll explain he a vampire and just having a kip :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back