DIY a 3d scanner

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Well, it seems all the forums I can find are mostly about DIY of one's house.
My question is a bit different. I was going to buy a 3d scanner by Creality, but it has legal issues with a bigger company Artec, so it seems that I will never buy their scanner as there's nothing to buy. And all the existing ones are too expensive for me,
I have an Idea of making a DIY 3d scanner. I've tried photogrammetry where you use a camera to take many photos of an object and then make a 3d model of it.
I think this technology can be used to make kind of 3d scanner, so it has to be automated. I understand that a stationary scanner would be enough, so I would need to automate a turntable to rotate the object, as well as make camera take photos in a row, Actually they should be synchronized. I don't understand how I can automate the rotation of the camera, as turntable rotates along one axis but the camera should rotate along the other. I'd like to find out that maybe someone have already tried something like this, so they can share some tips or ideas.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
...and anything opensource can't be bad! ;)
True words. about a year and a half ago I've switched from 3ds Max to Blender. And now I see how opensource develops and with each version it becomes better to use while being free, while 3ds max stagnate while being, well, not cheap.
what phone do you have?
higher end iPhones use LiDAR for facial scanning and 3d
Yeah, I think I've heard something about it... I'm not really into Apple products, I've tried once - iOS is not my type of OS. So I have Samsung. But thank you for your suggestion.

True words. about a year and a half ago I've switched from 3ds Max to Blender. And now I see how opensource develops and with each version it becomes better to use while being free, while 3ds max stagnate while being, well, not cheap.
I have been meaning to get into Blender for a while - it just seems to get pushed further and further down the to-do list! :rolleyes:

Take a look at Matterport, it’s a photogrammetry unit which works fantastically, they’ve also just released a mount for a mobile phone.

Photogrammetry can be converted to a ping cloud but is inherently inaccurate over large surfaces / scans. Try looking at point cloud tech through a BLK360 or similar.

Take a look at Matterport, it’s a photogrammetry unit which works fantastically, they’ve also just released a mount for a mobile phone.

Photogrammetry can be converted to a ping cloud but is inherently inaccurate over large surfaces / scans. Try looking at point cloud tech through a BLK360 or similar.

Matterport looks interesting but their website is effin' annoying to scroll down.

Best to find them on Instagram / Linkdin
I think it’s about £3k for the scanner but the usability is unparalleled from what I have tested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back