DIY advice on fuel tank/fuel lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just the other day I noticed that my car (Clio RT S reg) was leaking. I looked under the car and noticed that petrol was leaking from either the tank or where the line goes into the tank. The car was parked on a slant leaning towards the drivers side but when I parked the car on a flat surface the leaking stopped. I've just had it serviced 2 weeks ago and I thought that a mechanic would have picked up on something like this (unless it has JUST developed.) Anyway, I don't want to spend more money at the garage (service cost me £500 to get cambelt and brakes done) so I was wondering how difficult would it be to fix this problem myself? ie replacing fuel tank, fuel lines or would it be best to give the garage a call?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
redP said:
I thought that a mechanic would have picked up on something like this

why would he, if it aint broke dont fix it

also it may be because as you said

redP said:
The car was parked on a slant leaning towards the drivers side but when I parked the car on a flat surface the leaking stopped

It may have been the breather pipe, was the tank full and was it a hot day?

(i am thinking hot day, petrol expands)

It wasn't exactly hot and I had filled up the car earlier that day from a low tank with about £20 of petrol. Is a breather pipe easily fixed?

breezer said:
redP said:
I thought that a mechanic would have picked up on something like this
why would he, if it aint broke dont fix it
Because, legally, the mechanic has both a general and a specific duty of care. If he had noticed a petrol leak and not told anyone, then he would be liable for the potentially catastrophic consequences.

redP - I reckon you have a leaking tank. They can be repaired, but are best replaced. If you're not at fixing cars then don't even attempt it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Get a petrol can and fill it up, then pour into the filler as the filler necks on clios / peugeots tend to split........ you'll see it running out when you pour the petrol in

redP said:
I've just had it serviced 2 weeks ago and I thought that a mechanic would have picked up on something like this (unless it has JUST developed.)

Surely a mechanic who, on discovery of a problem and the chance to make some extra cash is unlikely to not bother mentioning it to the owner?

Why? Are you implying that all mechanics are dishonest?

RedP: forget about the mechanic not finding it, chances are the leak wasn't apparent then - after all you yourself have only just noticed it.

My advice (generic, I'm not familiar with the clio):

You say you're not sure if the leak is from the tank itself or from the fuel line connection to the tank. You need to have a good look and establish which it is. A bit of common sense and the good old Mk1 eyeball should suffice. If it's definitely the tank then I suggest you get it fixed by a decent garage.

If it's the connection it will be straightforward to sort. Maybe just a little tightening of the clip but more likely you'll have to nip the end off the flexible pipe if it's split, and then put it back on if it's not too short, cleaning off any corrosion from the attachment point. However, it would be best to replace with a new section of fuel hose (available at little cost including new clips from a motor spares). The hardest bit is avoiding spillage. Drain down the tank as much as possible by whatever method you can before you start and invest in couple of hose clamps (inexpensive tool available from motor spares). By some cunning use of your clamps you should then be able to drain what fuel is left without making a mess. For example, attach the two clamps to the old hose with enough space between them to cut through the hose then drain each side into a container by removing its clamp.

Surely, the inclusion of "unlikely to not bother" implies the opposite, ie, that any mechanic will make the owner aware and see the oportunity for some extra paid work. I cannot see that the posting implies, in any way, that all mechanics are dishonest

Watchmaker said:
Surely, the inclusion of "unlikely to not bother" implies the opposite, ie, that any mechanic will make the owner aware and see the oportunity for some extra paid work. I cannot see that the posting implies, in any way, that all mechanics are dishonest
You're correct - I misread freddymercurystwin's post. It's unlikely that I wasn't confounded by the double negative. ;)

I apologise to everyone for my error, especially freddymercurystwin.

Softus said:
Watchmaker said:
You're correct - I misread freddymercurystwin's post. It's unlikely that I wasn't confounded by the double negative. ;)

I apologise to everyone for my error, especially freddymercurystwin.

Good God Almighty, its lucky I was sitting down when I read this! :)

Sponsored Links
Back