DIY answer to swirly render problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help us with our render problem. Last year we brought a 4 bed detatched victorian house, which is great - apart from the external render. It is rendered all over with a smooth render, but then the plasterer swept his trowel across and made big swirly arcs all over - looks terrible. When we brought the house, we budgeted a bit of money to sort out the render, but a friend in the know of ours says we won't get much change from £20k if we get the render taken off and redone.

My partner isn't in favour of redoing it. He thinks it is wasteful as the render is perfectly good. It is, and I don't want to take it all off if there is another option. Today I went out with a hammer and a wallpaper scraper, and was able to chip a swirl level quite quickly. I then thought that if we paint the house (which we planned to do anyway) it would look loads better. I don't mind having it as a project this summer - but would that be a crazy way of doing it - chipping away by hand?

Our surveyor suggested getting an angle grinder to it, but I'm hopeless with power tools and would be nervous about using one. Might an industrial sander do it? Are they a bit less heavy/daunting to use?

If anyone can advise on the best technique for this, I'd be grateful.

Toots

Sponsored Links
You could try a carborundum rubbing brick they are sold in builder's merchants, or online.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help us with our render problem. Last year we brought a 4 bed detatched victorian house, which is great - apart from the external render. It is rendered all over with a smooth render, but then the plasterer swept his trowel across and made big swirly arcs all over - looks terrible. When we brought the house, we budgeted a bit of money to sort out the render, but a friend in the know of ours says we won't get much change from £20k if we get the render taken off and redone.

My partner isn't in favour of redoing it. He thinks it is wasteful as the render is perfectly good. It is, and I don't want to take it all off if there is another option. Today I went out with a hammer and a wallpaper scraper, and was able to chip a swirl level quite quickly. I then thought that if we paint the house (which we planned to do anyway) it would look loads better. I don't mind having it as a project this summer - but would that be a crazy way of doing it - chipping away by hand?

Our surveyor suggested getting an angle grinder to it, but I'm hopeless with power tools and would be nervous about using one. Might an industrial sander do it? Are they a bit less heavy/daunting to use?

Toots

I have just rendered a school 36m x 26m x 12m for 22k. Is your house a super mansion? The most expensive detached houses should not cost more than 10k top all in

Nick

Toots

I have just rendered a school 36m x 26m x 12m for 22k. Is your house a super mansion? The most expensive detached houses should not cost more than 10k top all in

Nick
Hi can you not have the outer walls redone with one of the companys that do solid wall insulation you will get the the new skin put over your exsisting walls and you will not have to take the old render off, plus you gain the insulation as well for halft the cost.
Laurie.

Sponsored Links
Two options:
A) Hire a compressor (240 volt will do but bigger the better). Nip down to Clarks, machine Mart or web, buy an air chisel and get it off is a few days.
B) Hire a company to do same and pay a lot less than 20k.

Or

Decopierre render will cover anything and can even be made to look like brick finish.
Not 20k for average semi, more like 10-11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back