DIY Brick Cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of guidance.

I'm looking to clean the external brickwork on two elevations of our Victorian property. We've got to put a scaffold up for roof works so figure it'd be a good time to get it done.

I've had a quote to clean the brick and seal with silicone spray (breathable yet waterproof apparently?!) For approx £2300. Although this doesn't seem crazy it's a job that's not top priority and the money could be better spent elsewhere, but would be daft not to do it whilst the scaffold is up.

Has anyone got any experience of cleaning exterior brick themselves? Is it something I can do myself? I feel that providing I have the right materials it should be relatively straightforward, am I mistaken?

Any hints, tips, suggestions of chemicals and equipment would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What is your pointing like? scrubbing with a stiff hand broom and plain water then re-pointing looks great really brightens the whole thing up, more so if you have those
lovely Victorian yellow stocks.
Re-pointing will have real benefits unlike the questionable services offered by cowboys to slap on a miracle coating the property has survived for over 100 years without.

The pointing is in fairly good condition, I'd say it's been redone in the last 5 years but much of the brick work is very dull, discoloured, black etc.

There's a few houses on the road that have been cleaned up and they look great so I think it's worthwhile. I'll try a stiff brush and water at low level and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Don't use aggressive chemicals or a pressure washer if there's a chance that the bricks are soft Victorian - the surface will be irreparably damaged.

A stiff brush, a little bit of water with detergent and a lot of elbow grease works wonders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back