diy central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler to be installed by a pro but I am going to fit radiators and pipe work myself. Can anyone recommend if I am best using compression or solder fittings? The pro told me to run 22mm from the boiler and I can spur off with 10mm to the rads. He also mentioned using plastic pipe that can be embedded in the plaster for running down the walls to the ground floor (boiler upstairs). Will that work or is it risky? Can I use plastic for the whole lot?

Sponsored Links
In that case I would not recommend to diy this. If you do things wrong, the remedial costs in a couple of years could be significant, not to mention the pain in your ears from your mrs.

Sponsored Links
Iam fairly confident I can install the pipe work and rads. Was just wondering if anyone had any tips or preference to material or methods for what ever reasons. Thanks

i'd do it all in hozelock cheap and all pushfit fittings.
000203CE.gif

if you are intent on diy, do a search on hep2o. it is easy to use, if not cheap. tails up to the rads can be in copper. designing a decent system that works is not 'dead simple' if you don't know what you are about.

if you are asking if compression fittings on copper are a good idea, then i'd suggest forgetting copper.

where is the best place to purchase lots of pipe and fittings? I'm guessing not b&q. I live in Nottingham

The pro told me to run 22mm from the boiler and I can spur off with 10mm to the rads.
It could be down to brevity, but are you sure the system has been properly designed (heatloss calcs etc)?

Aside from the installation aspects which you are asking about you should be aware that the radiator and pipework sizes should be calculated properly and you have a rare opportunity (new install) to do this so take advantage of it!

Mathew

I did exactly this job back in July this year and reckon it is a fairly simple job (very much diy-able with modern materials) depending on access.

Did mine with a 22mm main feed and 15mm spurs off. 10mm would probably have been fine but I like to overengineer. I oversized my rads as much as was practical and can now run the condensing boiler at a lower temp (more efficient).

As MJN says, you have a rare opportunitty to put in a really good install. Use the best stuff and plan it out properly. You'll be really pleased with the result.

Pay particular attention to how you lay out the main feed as it makes balancing the system much easier later on. Basically, try to ensure no rads are on much longer runs of pipework than others.

ip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back