DIY children's swing with single supporting post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice from the experts!

I'm currently building a play area for my kids in the garden and would like to include a swing. Due to space limitations, I'd ideally like this to be supported by just a single post (rather than with posts on either side). Something like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f5/50/b7/f550b78b2d8039ac12c33a46d045303b.jpg

but with a swing on just one side, rather than on both.

My idea is to use a 6x6 fence post bedded into concrete 2 to 3 foot deep, and then make the horizontal beam and supporting diagonals out of some more 6x6, and fasten it all together using coach screws.

Would appreciate any thoughts on whether this will be secure enough and any tips or suggestions

Sponsored Links
I would hate to have a gallows in my garden.

Obviously the swing in the photo works, and I see no reason why you couldnt re-create it yourself.

6*6 timber would be strong/stiff enough for the job I am sure, at which point the key will be the joint between vertical and horizontal, and the vertical to the ground.
A fencing place will be able to provide the wood, although I expect they will have to order it for you to get the length as normal gate posts are only 6-8ft long.

As long as there is enough in the ground, you simply need to dig a fairly small hole, and back fill it with crush and run well tamped down, just like a gate post.

For the join, a diagonal as shown will both help take the weight and stiffen the whole lot up. The main think will be to resist the oscillating force that will want to loosen it, rather than the outright force.

How pretty does it need to be?
- Form follows function (ugly but practical)
- Not overly critical as long as it isnt an eye sore
- A work of modern art, that also doesnt fall apart.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Personally for the joint I'd go for a mortise and tenon rather than relying on coach screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back