DIY chimney sweeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recall seeing a fireplace cover online with a small opening in the centre to feed the rods through to sweep the chimney from the bottom up. Is anyone familiar with this?

I've got a chimney closer on my chimney pot so this would have to be removed in order to clean the chimney from the top down, which is awkward and time consuming.

Does anyone know of a fireplace cover and/or have they cleaned the chimney from the bottom up before?

Sponsored Links
or have they cleaned the chimney from the bottom up before?

never done it, never will, but i remember as a kid the sweep always swept our chimney from the fire place to the pot. or bottom up as you put it

That's how I do my chimney. I have a piece of plywood with a hole in it. I put the first two sections (starting with the brush) through and put it on the fireplace. Then I feed it up the chimney and add the sections as it goes. It take eight pieces of rod to make it come out at the top.

now you mention plywood, i think he used to have a sheet with ahole in it, no idea how it stayed over the fireplace, but it did.

images

large_KzooTopPhoto04Jan08.jpg

images found on google

Sponsored Links
if you clean up or down you still have to go on the roof to check the pot.
i clean from the bottom usually but sometimes an appliance does not have a facility so then i sweep down . :)

Get one of these:

chicken.jpg

Wait until the family are out, then tie a weight around its legs and drop it down the chimney.

Job done!

(And you can eat the chicken afterwards! It might have a nice smoked aroma.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back