Chimney Brush Stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Abit of a random issue I’m looking for advice here, I’ve been sweeping my chimney with a brush and rod set bought from tool station.

Unfortunately the brush has unscrewed and detached from the rods, stuck at the top of the chimney about 4 metres from the bottom.

Any advice on how to retrieve this?!

Thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
Fashion a 4 pronged grappling iron made from 4 lengths of wire coat hanger fixed onto the end of your rods with just a slight spray. Push up past stuck brush and then pull back down and hopefully it will snag. Fixing around end of rods will need to be pretty good.

Sounds like a great idea, I’ll try this one! Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I also wonder if the plunger attachment to unblock drains will work if I can squeeze it past the brush and pull down?

To prevent this happening again only ever turn your rods in a tightening motion. Assuming you have normal rods this would be clockwise.

To prevent this happening again only ever turn your rods in a tightening motion. Assuming you have normal rods this would be clockwise.
i think that was the issue, I was turning the rods clockwise when in fact I should turn it anti clockwise I believe to keep the brush head on?!

No luck with the hook method, any other idea? The brush is stuck at the top of here, second picture you can see it sticking out slightly

Thinking of lighting a fire to burn through it, abit of plastic and brush won’t cause harm will it?

Attachments

• 9B7F201B-8E67-4B52-B773-40DD90B46848.jpeg
    9B7F201B-8E67-4B52-B773-40DD90B46848.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 4EF3B5BE-AC95-4DF2-87D5-5756DA358CDE.jpeg
    4EF3B5BE-AC95-4DF2-87D5-5756DA358CDE.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 103
Great thanks. Without getting up there, are they normally fitted with just screws?

I thought to fit it you would just push it in and it clips in, removal is a reversal of the procedure. Dare say it will be sooted up/a bit gummed up over time so may not want to come off easily.

Theyre only £15, buy another set and fashion a hook type grappling device from one of the attachments that can slide past then pull down on tne stuck brush. Or push up and out of the top as a last resort.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back