DIY - Composite sliding deck over Swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any one on here taken on such a project?

Using composite deck boards, creating a frame like and having it basically as a cover/deck area?

Many videos on youtube with the finished article however no real DIY pages explaining how easy/difficult it is to achieve. I guess I just am looking for how the sliding aspect is achieved.

Something like the one at 5min50secs >

I have previously made a deck to the side of the pool. My thought is to create a split raised deck on the pool area... which will then slide on to my existing deck and partially slide towards the other side.

This is my current setup

;
b73e81b9-a010-4a5c-831a-2d1d5d2670a6-jpeg.131464

ceae75de-d9d9-4662-898d-b41c8956cc2d-jpeg.131465

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that you'd need a resessed track. I.e. Either a square U Channel screwed to a firm base/ or cast into concrete or possibly a U Channel profile that has a flat base as part of the extrusion, like an upside down pie symbol ?

Then non castoring wheels that will fit the rails?

I have used trucks on stage and that's generally how heavy stage stuff can be positioned quickly.
I would avoid above ground tracks, as they will be a pain to stand on, be a trip risk, and if made too small might lead to derailment.

I would build it on the assumption that you need to access the wheels from time to time for repairs or lubrication. If the rails are below the decking surface, possibly keep the tracks covered with a decking board, remove it to open the pool. Use the track cover from where the track is exposed to cover the track exposed when it's open?

You could possibly use scaffold tube as rails if they were covered in use?

hmm.

Something like this for the tracks - recessed in. Click me

And then maybe something like this fixed under the deck and seated in the above - Click me

Next step is to automate it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think you'd need to calculate the weight of the lid and go from there?
Probably add 50/75% for luck

There must be alternatives out there. In the town centre, there are houses built on an old brewery and the cobbled roads still exist. There are sunken tracks from a system of moving the beer. Possibly narrow gauge rail fans would be interested in research or have contacts? There must still be modern industrial rail makers for factories, although electric forklifts more or less took over?

Sponsored Links
you will need a substantial metal frame i would have thought as decking needs support every 450-650mm dependant decking strength

Hey Steve I've been working on this same project for a while same size pool composite decking is just way too heavy I have an aluminum frame nut and bolted together but the composite is just too heavy going to switch to PVC deck boards and hope it solves my issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back