DIY conundrum - removing toilet seat caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to replace a toilet seat which is the traditional ‘bottom fixing’ kind. I’ve got the lid, etc off but I can’t get to the bolts underneath the pan to remove the caps because the toilet is an enclosed design and its back is fixed to the wall with silicone. Now I’m stuck with caps on the toilet pan which I can’t remove in order to put a new seat on.

What I’ve tried and how I’ve failed…

There may have been a screw on there but it’s rusted away, so there’s nothing to unscrew. I’ve tried drilling through it (in the centre so as not to hit the porcelain pan) but haven’t made much of an impact. I could try to saw it but there isn’t much of an angle to get at them (think I’d have to use something small like a coping saw??) and not sure it would cut through. I know someone with a small angle grinder but worry about the potential to cut the porcelain underneath if he used that. I could cut away the silicone fixing the back of the pan to the wall and pull the whole thing out but that would be costly and not sure if I risk pulling away the piping by removing the pan from the wall because I’m totally unsighted!

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a tool I can use to cut these which will work without risking smashing the porcelain underneath?

I'm a complete novice so any help would be really, really useful.

Some photos to illustrate are below.

Thanks in advance!

[/img][/list]

Sponsored Links
I've loosened simliar caps with water pump pliers. The problem is that the bolts will probably fall through or simply spin round.

Also, flush that toilet, it's revolting!

The waste pipe from the back of the toilet is a push fit so you won't damage anything by removing it from the wall.

I'd be inclined to cut through all the silicon and remove the toilet from the wall to get access to the underside of those caps. They may just unscrew with a pivoting captive fixing that allows you to push the fixing through from the top but then again they may be bonded in some way.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have managed to loosen one of the caps just using a screwdriver and pliers but it just spins, so doesn't get me any closer to actually removing the thing.

Foxhole, I've tried drilling using a normal domestic power drill and metal drill bits but didn't get very far - it just made a small dent even after prolonged drilling on the 'hardest' settings and I was wary of pushing harder. Is there a different technique or tool which you think would have better effect? I don't mind the bolt falling through but also don't want to drill into the porcelain and can only take an educated guess which part of the cap is over the smaller hole underneath.

Lower, thanks. If it wouldn't damage anything I'm happy to remove the toilet but do just wonder if there isn't some other way of getting through those caps - maybe not!

Lastly, Saladdays, well-spotted. It's a new flat with a neglected toilet pan but I've given it a go with something called Domestos blast which is working its magic as we speak ;)

Unfortunately you will have to remove from the wall, in order to get access to fit your new toilet seat.

Once away from the wall, it will become simple to get access to remove and refit.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I have managed to loosen one of the caps just using a screwdriver and pliers but it just spins, so doesn't get me any closer to actually removing the thing.

Foxhole, I've tried drilling using a normal domestic power drill and metal drill bits but didn't get very far - it just made a small dent even after prolonged drilling on the 'hardest' settings and I was wary of pushing harder. Is there a different technique or tool which you think would have better effect? I don't mind the bolt falling through but also don't want to drill into the porcelain and can only take an educated guess which part of the cap is over the smaller hole underneath.

Lower, thanks. If it wouldn't damage anything I'm happy to remove the toilet but do just wonder if there isn't some other way of getting through those caps - maybe not!

Lastly, Saladdays, well-spotted. It's a new flat with a neglected toilet pan but I've given it a go with something called Domestos blast which is working its magic as we speak ;)

You will need 3mm hss bits [new] or cobalt bits which are harder, and drill centre of bolt which is visable.Then once thru a larger 4-5 bit to drill out.
I have used a micro gas torch in the past and heated the bolt melting the rubber below, need a damp cloth around to avoid damage to other areas.
No sure what you mean by drill on hardest setting, hope you did not set at hammer. :LOL:

Pointless removing them from the top.
Without moving the pan away from the wall you will not be able to fit your new seat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back