DIY Damp proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I want to get rid of some rising damp? which is on a internal wall. The wall has the pantry directly behind it which I have dug out and relayed as they were old damp quarry tiles. The wall on the dining room side is a solid concrete floor. I've read that the damp injection cream should be injected 150mm above floor level. But the damp would still show above the skirting? could I inject on the pantry side as the floor level is lower?

Sponsored Links
Waste of time? so the damp proof injection cream does not work. If this is so then could I fix a membrane of some description to prevent the damp.

You need to acertain the cause of the damp, was the wall in question ever external? i.e now in an extention? or been a chimney.

Sponsored Links
Just like in medicine, you first ascertain the cause, that will dictate the treatment.

no never an external wall or a chimney. But the dining floor has been concreted with a dpm. The other side of the wall is the pantry side which I dug out and put a dpm and concreted also, as the tiles were laid on earth? the property is circa 1900. So the wall is possibly built on earth which is why I suspected rising damp.
I do appreciate the comments,
craig.

Does the wall run through to roof level? Any water services/drainage in vacinity?

had a look, No none of those are causing the damp. All I can think of is damp rising up from the ground the wall is built on?

if you simply want to strop the damp coming through, Wickes sell a black rubber paint which has good reviews. I have just used this and it is easy to apply.

Chemical injection does work but you will probably need to remove damp plaster and get it re-done.

had a look, No none of those are causing the damp. All I can think of is damp rising up from the ground the wall is built on?

Damp rises up to 4 feet from damp ground. (1200mm)
Damp proofing cream does work... the trick is to inject it into the mortar between the bricks. Damp rises by capillary action through the tiny air bubbles that are entrained into the mortar when mixing. If you drill into the mortar between the bricks above floor level, you are still left with a strip of damp wall below the new dpc. However, if you also drill down at an angle at floor level through the mortar and bricks every half brick the dpc is then deposited into the line of mortar below the floor.

Damp rises up to 4 feet from damp ground. (1200mm)
Damp proofing cream does work... the trick is to inject it into the mortar between the bricks. Damp rises by capillary action through the tiny air bubbles that are entrained into the mortar when mixing. If you drill into the mortar between the bricks above floor level, you are still left with a strip of damp wall below the new dpc. However, if you also drill down at an angle at floor level through the mortar and bricks every half brick the dpc is then deposited into the line of mortar below the floor.
Oh the old magic 4ft, of course gravity does not work below 4ft. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies. As I have already removed the plaster I will have a go with the cream as advised. I will then use the damp sealing paint also or get the plasterer to put a plaster/mortar mix so far up. As I mentioned earlier the damp must be rising up and anyone would agree if they had seen the state of the quarry tiles I removed from the pantry floor!
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back