Rising damp treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a case of what I think is rising damp, the soil in the garden was right up to the damp course and over the years water has seeped in the brickwork. As a temporary measure I dug a channel about 200mm wide and about 200 mm below the damp course to stop the water ingress. At the same time I bought a cheap damp meter and was getting readings around 18% on the inside wall after 6 weeks its about 13% so I think its working, although it should be less than 5% apparently.

I'm looking for advice on what to do next, I was thinking about putting gravel in the channel and making sure its 150mm below damp course. Also I have seen creams you can inject but I'm not sure if they are any good.

If anybody has any suggestions they would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
A genuine DPC will always be miles better than an injected one.
Keep the outside earth as low as you can, some chippings or slate pieces will help drainage and keep any air bricks clear.....make sure any rainfall can't bounce back over the DPC.
You really only need to consider other drainage if water stands on your chippings, but I think you are well on your way to success.
John :)

Thats not rising damp, but penetrating damp, once the ground is lowered it will take months for the wall to dry especially towards winter, damp meters are a waste of time they only detect surface moisture which is no indication of damp just condensation level.

Thanks for the replies. If it's penetrating damp the course of action is still the same I take it? also is it best to re plaster inside now or wait for it to dry out completely?

If i want to hide the damp inside temporarily until it dries out what would be a good temporary measure, could I just sand the wall a bit and repaint or is there a treatment i can put on?

I agree the meters are not great, but it was handy as a guide.

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Consider using a dehumidifier in the affected rooms - if the house is cosy its amazing how much water can be extracted.
Don't go for the plastering until the walls are dry.
John :)

We are moving into winter now and yours walls will be rained on frequently.
Its probably to soon to know if they are waterproof.
Wet walls dry out at about one centimetre a month in good dry conditions, if your walls are exposed to wind swept rain it will probably take until the end of next summer.
If you buy a dehumidifier do keep in mind that it makes a noise and will be expensive to run, if you have a perfectly sealed water vapour proof home, then go for it, if not, you may find you are trying to dry out the whole of the UK......expensive!
Keep in mind that you and your family will produce water vapour every day and night, that water vapour is programmed to head for the nearest cold surface, this will be your damp wall, this water vapour migration will slow the drying process.
Finally, water is better at conducting heat, some 4,000 times better than dry air, trying to heat a room with a damp wall is expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back