DIY Electrics in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much Risteard for showing I was correct and not a liar.

The fact is that the position on Ireland you stated was blatantly not correct:

The facts are:

Definition of Restricted Electrical Works

As set out in Statutory Instruments, S.I. No. 264 of 2013, Restricted Electrical Works are:

1. the installation, commissioning, inspection and testing of a new Electrical Installation which is fixed, fastened or mounted or otherwise secured so that its position does not change and requires connection or re-connection to the distribution network or the transmission network, as the case may be;
  2. the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be;
  3. the installation or replacement of one or more circuits in an Electrical Installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on a Distribution Board; or
  4. the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing Electrical Installations covered by Chapter 62 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations;
in a Domestic Property.

In no way is this a ban on DIY, so you should be ashamed of yourself. And so should any commercial company attempting this to represent this saying anything similar.

You and anyone else peddling these lies should confess to the truth.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’m sick to death of it but what’s the alternative?
Known you a long time on here Rf and youve never been like you have lately, you used to post weekly then once in a blue moon, till the last few weeks and i quess 90% lately are concerning winston.
Its a DIY site, posters can vet the replies, if Winston posts dangerous advise, fair enough, otherwise let it go, its only harming your profile lately In my opinion.
The Mods have there eye on him lately, i'm sure.
Nothing personal :)

Known you a long time on here Rf and youve never been like you have lately, you used to post weekly then once in a blue moon, till the last few weeks and i quess 90% lately are concerning winston.
Its a DIY site, posters can vet the replies, if Winston posts dangerous advise, fair enough, otherwise let it go, its only harming your profile lately In my opinion.
The Mods have there eye on him lately, i'm sure.
Nothing personal :)
The whole point about a site like this, surely is for non pro's, amateurs, DIYers or whatever title we apply, or even for Pro's too, to ask for advice. It is not constructive to be immediately be criticised for not knowing the correct term or to be given wrong information.
How far, as voluntary contributers, are we supposed to go to ensure questions are correctly answered? Put another way, how do we convey to the people coming here that advice being given is incorrect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back