DIY External Insulation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Chaps!

I am looking for some advice on a DIY job I plan on undertaking in the next few weeks/months, as per a previous thread my Kitchen is single skin brick – garage conversion. I did plan on ripping it out and lining the walls with insulation, this is would have been a massive task and likely a new kitchen so… My previous post highlighted the use external insulation which we have decided on going with, I just need to know more about the solution, are there any limitations or prerequisites I need to keep in mind? I also need to know what thickness to go for, my understanding is the thicker the better in terms or heat retention but the R-Values don’t seem to change greatly between boards. I am looking at Kingspan K5 Kooltherm @ 70MM with an R rating of 3.5 or Celotex SW3000 80MM with an R rating of 3.05, the Celotex is 10MM thicker and has a lesser R Value BUT is cheaper @ £16.74/m2 inc VAT rather than £18.75 inc VAT for the Kingspan.

I have measured up and I am going to need about 30m2.

I Also need to know more about the finishing, I would ideally like it to look like the rest of the house but the cost of the brick slips scares me! So, I am thinking that we use the slips where visible and then render up the side of the kitchen where its only seen by my neighbor when in their utility room.
I need to try and identify the bricks we have so I can get a price on the slips.

Can anyone help me out with a shopping list?:
1) Insulation boards
2) Fixings
3) Base coat??? – is this needed?
4) Mesh sheet?
5) Undercoat?
6) Face finish – Slips or K-Rend?

What else am I missing.

Any help would be amazing.

Sponsored Links
Here is the kitchen highlighted in red, the conservatory will be coming down at some-point and ill rebuild with a decent lean-too roof.
30287_200654785_IMG_01_0002.jpg

You will have to make provision for the roof ( or something else?) to cover the top of the external cladding, likewise the down pipes and gutters will need sorting. Detailing around the widows, head, reveals sill. The garden bench will need moving :)
Frank

Surly it would make more sense to knock it down and incorporate it into your new extention.

Sponsored Links
Morning - It would indeed make more sense to do that Catlad, yes. However... we wont be doing that work for a while and with winter upon us, we need the kitchen warmer! last winter was a nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back