Insulation for behind cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

I am externally insulating my extension (built as solid walls without cavity), and one wall is not getting rendered and will be clad, either in cement cladding or timber.

I was using Kingspan K5, but have run out for this area. I thought maybe Kingspan K15 would be the thing, as 'rainscreen' insulation - yes it featured on Grenfell. However, I am wondering if there is any point, and if any old insulation board with foil face will be equally suitable?

The build-up is: skim , Hardwall , 215mm block , insulation board , Housewrap , battens , cladding

Is my definition of a rainscreen even correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
HI all,

I am externally insulating my extension (built as solid walls without cavity), and one wall is not getting rendered and will be clad, either in cement cladding or timber.

I was using Kingspan K5, but have run out for this area. I thought maybe Kingspan K15 would be the thing, as 'rainscreen' insulation - yes it featured on Grenfell. However, I am wondering if there is any point, and if any old insulation board with foil face will be equally suitable?

The build-up is: skim , Hardwall , 215mm block , insulation board , Housewrap , battens , cladding

Is my definition of a rainscreen even correct?

Thanks
Are you satisfying post June 2022 part L reg's?

Solid wall? Was that by choice?

Are you satisfying post June 2022 part L reg's?

Solid wall? Was that by choice?

No, this was Building Control approved prior to June 2022. We don't even have revised regulations in Jersey yet!

Yes solid wall was by choice. As it's a self-build, it meant I could build myself more easily. And the original house is solid block with EWI, and we get on well with it to be honest. I have noticed quite a few new builds going up the same way recently.

Sponsored Links
Spoke with Kingspan. They said K5 (Board with paper finish, not foil) was fine, as it would breathe. If I was going to hang the cladding on metalwork, then they would recommend K15, not quite sure why though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back