U values for wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using various online calculators for calculating u values for wall insulation, however they seem to vary considerably and make massive assumptions.

I need to decide how thick insulated plasterboard i install into some bedrooms - my property is a victorian semi detached, 2x brick skin without a cavity. The ceilings are higher than usual - 2.7m and there are large (sometimes bay) windows of at least 1.5m square, there is enough insulation in the loft above.

Is 62mm celotex/kingspan sufficient? I will be fixing it via batons, as there is no render externally and i dont want to remove all the plaster as its in good nic.

Sponsored Links
Why would you be given a choice? Is the objective not just to retain as much heat as possible?

Why would you be given a choice? Is the objective not just to retain as much heat as possible?
If that was the case you would put 1000mm thick insulation on your walls, more a case of having having an adequate amount to be cost effective in saving heat/money

Generally minimum requirement is based on building regs but people can improve on this if they so wish.

Current BR U value for new builds I believe is 0.18 at the moment.

In your case your achieved U value is 0.3

Screenshot (1262).png
Screenshot (1263).png

Sponsored Links
If that was the case you would put 1000mm thick insulation on your walls, more a case of having having an adequate amount to be cost effective in saving heat/money

Generally minimum requirement is based on building regs but people can improve on this if they so wish.

Current BR U value for new builds I believe is 0.18 at the moment.

In your case your achieved U value is 0.3

View attachment 320183View attachment 320184
Thanks, do you mean the u value i've achieved without any wall insulation, or that would be the achieved value if i were to put 62mm PIR board on?

If the latter, would 0.3 be considered decent?

One thing i would say is that most new builds are unbearably hot during the summer, does this indicate that the target u value for new builds is basically too high?

I suspect what you want to know, and something that interests me, is at what point do you start chasing marginal returns. As above, you could fit a metre of celotex and heat your home with a candle but a line has to be drawn somewhere. My extension is to the now old regs bug I'm wondering whether to insulate internally to beef it up - selfishly I probably won't as I don't want to lose the space and I doubt I'll see much payback in the 5-10 years we'll stay in the house.

I suspect what you want to know, and something that interests me, is at what point do you start chasing marginal returns. As above, you could fit a metre of celotex and heat your home with a candle but a line has to be drawn somewhere. My extension is to the now old regs bug I'm wondering whether to insulate internally to beef it up - selfishly I probably won't as I don't want to lose the space and I doubt I'll see much payback in the 5-10 years we'll stay in the house.
Yes sort of, but i'm happy to put in 62mm insulation, but any thicker than that and it starts to become an issue. I guess what i want to know is will 62mm insulation make a big difference, or marginal? The 'real feel' of my house is that as soon as the heating goes off, you notice it starting to cool down immediately, whereas i compare it to more modern properties (even my parents 80s house which has insulated cavity) and it retains the heat for a lot longer.

Thanks, do you mean the u value i've achieved without any wall insulation, or that would be the achieved value if i were to put 62mm PIR board on?

If the latter, would 0.3 be considered decent?

One thing i would say is that most new builds are unbearably hot during the summer, does this indicate that the target u value for new builds is basically too high?
0.3 achieved with insulation. Without it your U value is 2.12 so you would make the wall about 7 times more effective in retaining the heat

Screenshot (1264).png

Building regs state that if a thermal element (e.g. a wall) is upgraded it should not have a U value of greater than 0.7 and suggests an improved value of at least 0.3 so your proposal can be considered to be within normal parameters.

Screenshot (1265).png

0.3 achieved with insulation. Without it your U value is 2.12 so you would make the wall about 7 times more effective in retaining the heat

View attachment 320196
Building regs state that if a thermal element (e.g. a wall) is upgraded it should not have a U value of greater than 0.7 and suggests an improved value of at least 0.3 so your proposal can be considered to be within normal parameters.

View attachment 320200
tHANK YOU VERY MUCH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back