What insulation for new loft, and how to calculate U value?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Fitting out a new 2 story extension, and the building specs say roof needs a U of .16, and mentions 300mm of mineral wool.

The joists are only 70mm deep, so 300mm would need some serious packing before I could put any flooring down (just for storage), and its not a very high pithch to begin with anyway.

So what other insulation products shall I be looking at that offer the required rating with less thickness at reasonable value? I guess celotex / kingspan is one option, but I know its not cheap.

Also how do I calculate the U value, all the insulation I have seen lists its R value. Does the insulatining properties of the plasterboard come into the U calculation also?

Many thanks

Anthony

Sponsored Links
even if you could cram 300mm of insulation into 70mm it wouldnt have the same u value as the u value is obtained due to the entrapped air.
Every element you add has a u-value including flooring , plasterboard etc these are available on the net.
from a practical point of view something like tri-iso 10 with rockwool between the rafters and 70mm mineral wool between the joists should be more than enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back