U value of cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a 110mm cavity wall, 100mm dense concrete block on both the inner and outer leaf. 60mm of insulation inside the cavity.

I have been told by the BCO that I need to either use a thermal block for the inner leaf or a dense block with an insulated plasterboard.

I need to achieve 0.26 for the U value.

I have just put the figures into the Celotex calculator and it is coming up at 0.25.

I am not sure of the correct name of the block, so I have gone with a Hanson evalast, which has the worst rating.

Is this correct as I'm confused why he is telling me that I need more material to achieve this value.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering why you have to reach 0.26. Are you working to a calculated SAP or is it a standard extension? The standard for extensions is 0.28. (unless there is a sap calc that requires something different)

Why not just put 100mm quilt in the cavity?

110mm for a cavity is an odd design in any case

Sponsored Links
I am working to SAP calculations for a new build.

I have found out, that if I use a 100mm cavity with 50mm Celotex I only achieve 0.28, so I would then have to include some other material on the inner leaf (thermal block or insulated plasterboard).

However if I increase the cavity to 110mm then I can use 60mm Celotex and that gives me a U value of 0.25, so that is all that is required.

I was told that a 50mm breather gap in the cavity is required, so I could use a 100mm cavity with 60mm of insulation.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back