DIY fitment of new supplied timber d/glazed sash windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above really. Quite handy and will have an experienced builder with me (or rather the other way round!) so would appreciate any pointers as to whether there are any tricks to doing these, well, even a step by step would not go amiss just in case.

Have in the past fitted casement windows, but not in the UK, etc, so I don't trust the experience to necessarily be of any particular value.

Basically these latter were properly levelled and positioned in place with wedges, then they were screwed into the walls, IIRC with just 4 screws, mainly so they stayed put, then the gaps around the frame cemented and sealed or occasionally expanding foam was used. Not sure if the same principle is applied with box sash windows, and also would appreciate info about details such as isolating from the brickwork, etc, how that works out (if necessary), well, every tidbit will be gratefully received.

Looking to save on the installation costs, as the windows themselves cost enough already!

Also any idea how many we could realistically fit in a day, I'm saying 2 to be safe.

Thanks in advance, I will respond/keep you engaged a while, no doubt, just trying to keep this first post of the thread a bit manageable... :)

Sponsored Links
So your helping your builder and you want us to tell you how your builder should be doing in it. That's going to go down well! :rolleyes:

Andy

So your helping your builder and you want us to tell you how your builder should be doing in it. That's going to go down well! :rolleyes:

Andy

You are not obliged to tell me anything, least of all offer a reply that contributes nothing to anyone.

Oh and you are now on my ignore list so no need to take this further, I won't see anything you post.

I have just fitted a few sashes in my victorian house and it wasnt so bad a job. Messy due to dust from window removal. Simply strip out old boxes, check brickwork, stand in new window, level, wedge and then seal with expanding foam. i opted to seal outside edge joint with mortar & plasticiser.
issues; had to rebuild brick arch on one, re-sit wooden inner lintel on another, trim a few windows down 1 or 2 cms to fit openings, etc. take care with amount and location of expanding foam as i found out not all windows as strong as they look and it bowed sash box frame inwards on one (different design to the others) which required removal of lights and some additional trimming around wooden frame of each light to resolve.
Also some sash units dont trim down in size very easily due to construction fixings used.
The mortar option appears ok but with softwood you get quite a lot of wood expansion/shrinkage so cracks could well appear (so far so good!).
Not sure if the the above is the accepted method but seemed to be secure, robust, weather proof and tidy solution to me.
2 to 3 in a day sounds fine if you dont have any trimming of sash frame to do.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back