DIY getting caught!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a competant DIYer did any Part P electrical work without going through the correct channels of getting the work approved, what is the chance of them getting caught?

Sponsored Links
Probably zero.
until the insurance companies start jumping on the need for such compliance & certificates or the solicitors start asking for details of such works & certificates at time of house sales or if a sparks comes in for other work notices diy non notified work & reports it (not that anything will get done about it).

But in reality.............well you get the picture i'm sure.

Wait until house burns down and insurance company will not cover or someone dies from an electric shock and the diyer is charged with manslaughter. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I went to the council to give notification of an impending DB change. I handed the planning form over and they asked me how much it costs as they didn't know! (it was £94 inc vat if interested). I then asked how long I had to wait before starting (I knew the answer but wondered if they did - they didn't know, but assumed it was 2 days as per other types of planning notification).
To be fair I was talking to the customer service desk and not the planners in person but she added that she didn't know the details because they hardly ever get notifications for electrical work.
I left feeling like I had been robbed of £94. Unless every piece of non-minor work is caried out by a registered person then it sounds as no-one else bothers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back